1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My son drove my 99 durango 5.9 with a bad waterpunp

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Liljlp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My son drove my 99 durango 5.9 with a bad waterpunp

hello I hope i can get some answers here I have a 1999 durango with a 5.9 my son drove it for about 2 weeks with a bad water pump. I changed the water pump but the engine still over heats and when i keep it on for about 5 minutes there seems to be pressure building inside the engine that the houses pop off i want to know what else could have been damaged inside the engine and is the engine ruined.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

as long as it was not run after it got in the too hot range the engine is still fine, i would suggest doing a full cooling system flush you probably have gunk built up inside of something (most likely the radiator), and make sure none of the hoses are cracked/collapsed and you have the correct radiator cap (15psi i think) on it bc that should go before you lose hoses

Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the cooling system flush. Have the mech check the radiator with a ir temp gun to see if there are any hot/cold spots. I suggest you change all hoses and the t-stat as well plus the rad cap. All OEM parst, of course.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

i would be worried about a cracked head.. Not really sure what to check to see if that is the case.. guessing how you knew the water pump was bad I'm gonna figure that the water pump was already really bad.. worst case i could see the car being run without water for two weeks.. that could very well be a cracked head.. Keep a very good eye on your coolant/ oil levels.. If it ends up your loosing alot.. then you need to get major maintenance done..

Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 PM
rebelboy
Veteran

is the overflow blowing bubbles?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Liljlp

thank you for all ur suggestions um yeah when i got the truck back the waterpump was making a very high pitch sound and leaking coolant allover theres no oil being loss only thing im loosing is coolant because the houses pop im going to check the radiator cap. REBELBOY there is no bubbles on the overflow how do I check the radiator for hot/cold spots my self I would rather not have it towed to the shop just for a check

Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You have a bad head gasket. Replace the head gasket. I prefer Perma-Torque.

The other thing it could be is a bad radiator cap.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

the waterpump was making a very high pitch sound and leaking coolant allover theres no oil being loss only thing im loosing is coolant because the houses pop im going to check the radiator cap.
The PCM doesn't control antifreeze flow.

Problems like these usually are caused but compression being introduced to the cooling system blowing the hoses off.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Dislander
Professional

"This could also be an ecm issue. All of the 1999 durango ecm computers fail eventually. My ecm failed then the truck started to misfire. The dealer quoted over a thousand, I finally ordered a rebuilt ecu. ":icon_lau gh:
Sorry but really?

+1 possible blown head gasket or crack, napa sells a chemical test kit to check for hydrocarbons in the cooling system.

+1 possible cap, the cap is the pressure relief valve of the system, it could be stuck or just incapable of keeping up with the additional pressure of a head gasket leak.

It could also just be a stuck thermostat, but check the head-gaskets first.

Replace the cap & t-stat every time you service the cooling system, they are cheap, often overlooked & very important to the system functioning properly.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea hydra your gonna want to delete that spam, idk how it got past you

Quick Reply: My son drove my 99 durango 5.9 with a bad waterpunp