1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
KMS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

hi guys,
im new, so just wanted to share. i just bought a 1999 durango 5.9l. great tough truck, couldnt be happier. i didnt intend on buying a D, but it came up in the adds as a one owner 95,000km slt great condition truck for 6,900usd. i jumped at the chance to buy it. when i drive it it intoxicates me. so im glad to be part of this forum. anyways i have two questions please. how much weight can i put in the back? and is it normal for the gearbox to keep jumping through the gears so often? its as if the truck doesnt know what to do! 2,3,2,3,4,3,4,3....... other than that im in love with the beast! thanks again.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

uhhh tow rating on your truck is around 7000lbs (dont have the exact number as there are too many variables to consider that i dont know) the tonge weight i think is 500 or 700 lbs but im not real sure what the max would be on loading it up inside, never really thought about it,

and what kind of driving are you doing that it is gear hunting? is the trans fluid at the right level? is OverDrive on or off? is the trans fluid burnt? when was it last changed? when where the bands last adjusted? sooo many different things to check, but i would start out with a fluid/filter change and band adjustment if you just got the truck, that should take care of most possible issues (and do NOT get the trans flushed as it causes more trouble than its worth)

Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 PM
KMS

i was betting that u would be the first to answer, thanks a bunch for the quick response. the oil was changed by the previous owner at 86,000km, i have 95,000km on the clock. as for the roads i drive on they r normal, we have some ups and downs but nothing steep. i tried going from a standstill with half the accelerator pedal till i reached 70miles, it made a lot of unnecessary changes during the test. and it doesnt seem right to use the overdrive button like a stick shift!!! whenever i see a hill of some sorts.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What shrp said. I've had experience with hauling stiff inside the D. If you put all the seats down you can fit abuot 300lbs into her. I've seen someone use his D to move boulders! LOL! Just make sure to pad the windows carefully or you WILL be buying new windows.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KMS
i was betting that u would be the first to answer, thanks a bunch for the quick response. the oil was changed by the previous owner at 86,000km, i have 95,000km on the clock. as for the roads i drive on they r normal, we have some ups and downs but nothing steep. i tried going from a standstill with half the accelerator pedal till i reached 70miles, it made a lot of unnecessary changes during the test. and it doesnt seem right to use the overdrive button like a stick shift!!! whenever i see a hill of some sorts.
when you said oil was changed do you mean the trans fluid? bc if you dont know when it was changed it sounds to me like its time for a fluid filter change and band adjustment, it could also be the governor pressure sensor (i think thats what its called) but a fluid filter change it should help

and im glad i could deliver on your expectations,

btw i drive w/ OD off whenever i am in town and not on the highway it gets turned off whenever i start the truck and left off till after i am merging onto the highway and then turned off when i am in the deccelaration lane to get off the shifts are better and it actually helps your mpgs if you do it this way

master tech is the guy to get in touch with about trans problems he is our resident tranny tech (yes i realize what i said )

Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If my truck down shifts going up a hill I automatically push the tow button. There is 2 reasons for this.

1. No torque management to burn the trans.
2. easier on the trans making it last longe and not over heat or ware out OD.

Get the trany fluid and filter change and adjusted. Stay away from flushes. Make sure they install ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid ONLY!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

Hmmmm good think i read this. I have been using o/d all the time in city driving etc :/ thanks for the tips!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

Is od a completely different gear? or is it just a gear like gears 1,2,3 ?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

City driving under 45mph and stop and go push the tow button.

OD is a completely different gear (4th) but it also is in a different part of the housing and in reality completely different then the rest of the gears. Any time you are going through the gears or towing (above 2000lbs) lock OD out buy pushing the tow button.

I have a large pass here. It is 6%-7% grade for about 6 miles. As soon as I drop into into 3rd even at 70mph I push the button. As I do this you will watch a 300-400 RMP drop as the torque management is removed and lockup of the torque converter is made (no slip) and I cruise up the hill.

The largest thing you want to stay away from is constant shifting in and out of OD!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

[QUOTE=hydrashocker;1961737]

I have a large pass here. It is 6%-7% grade for about 6 miles. As soon as I drop into into 3rd even at 70mph I push the button. As I do this you will watch a 300-400 RMP drop as the torque management is removed and lockup of the torque converter is made (no slip) and I cruise up the hill. [/QUOTE

You mean push the button to disengage OD? is there torque management on every time OD isnt turned off?

Quick Reply: newbie