1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Show us your 1st Gen. Durango!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:44 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lvphotos, are the fenders different from stockers or just the same yet fiberglass? Link to the supplier?

TIA,

IndyDurango

Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thier fiberglass fenders... if i remember correctly i read that they flare out 4.5 inches and are 3 inches higher in the wheel wells... here's where they come from...

http://www.glassworksunlimited.com/19to20dodafr.html

Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM
lvphotos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats right, Glassworks. Will make em as ordered, not in stock about 7 days to get mine, not bad. Had to cut stock fenders up for inner structure and mate the fiberglass to inner. Dodge has one piece fenders unlike Chevy and Fords. Detail photos on www.cardomain.com under lvphotos. Still fits in garage. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/331247...-dodge-durango

Last edited by lvphotos; 10-04-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Last edited by lvphotos; 10-04-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more photos
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lvphotos
Had to cut stock fenders up for inner structure and mate the fiberglass to inner.
Originally Posted by glassworks
Some cutting of the factory sheet metal maybe required on certain models. * Due to material thickness, some sanding and slight modifications may be required for proper fitment.
Indeed!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

Some trimming is not true. You have to skin the outer fender from the inner fender because they are welded together unlike Chevy and Ford Rangers. I have done a few. If you notice the wheel house is slit in the middle and cut off(welded). The top is spot welded. I left 1/4 material and rolled it like a factory pinch weld. The whole fender was gone and inner structure was left. It was one of those what did I get myself into deals.

Last edited by lvphotos; 10-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by lvphotos
Some trimming is not true. You have to skin the outer fender from the inner fender because they are welded together unlike Chevy and Ford Rangers. I have done a few. If you notice the wheel house is slit in the middle and cut off(welded). The top is spot welded. I left 1/4 material and rolled it like a factory pinch weld. The whole fender was gone and inner structure was left. It was one of those what did I get myself into deals.

wanna explain again why you need to do this with the fiberglass fenders? whats missing on the fiberglass one?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
lvphotos
Veteran

First its a fiberglass shell. No inner structure. The Durango/Dakota fenders are one piece. There is no support from the firewall to the radiator support. See LMC or manual for breakdown. If you tube it you still have to locate all that sits on the inner fender. If you notice in the pic that I skinned the fender and cut the inner and outer wheel house at the seem. Drilled out the spot welds on top, cut the light house out. Take a peek at yours with the plastic off and you will see where the split is. The radiator suport is a horseshoe held up with two mounts the rest is the fenders for support. Look at my cardomain page, there are alot of pics of this. I did it because I got hit in the right side, so everything had to be replaced. With what Durangos go for these days, they would have totaled it out. Not to include the lift and everything I have added. It also let me put the 35s on with the 5.5 tough country lift. Still rubs a little at full tilt or going to fast into a drive with it turned. If planning to do this, plan a week out and take time to slowly trim and cut the fenders in. Its actualy pretty easy to get the front apart after taking apart junkyard finds.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 PM
BenitaLynn

Hi all.....I just found this forum last night & I'm lovin' looking at all of the D's out there You got some great rides! I just purchased a 2000 Durango SLT 4X4 with a 5.9 Magnum V8 on Monday. I had a 2002 new, but traded it in 2 years after I got it.....BIG mistake! I wish I still had that one now! But I wanted to buy another one so that I can let my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T sit in the garage in the brutal Michigan winters, so I found this one for $6,000 & it only has 69,000 miles on it! The guy hardly ever drove it because he had a company vehicle. He changed the oil every 3,000 miles & the interior is immaculate.....doesn't even look like anyone has ever been in it! He gave me every single paper of work that he's had done to it & he even put in a sunroof, Sony stereo system & a new hitch. There is a lot of rust underneath (should I be concerned about that?), but only a few small spots on the body itself.

Anyway, onto the pics of how it looks right now.....hoping to very soon as some ventvisors, bug shield, mud flaps (already purchased, just have to install) & sidebars (once I decide between either chrome or black....which do you all think will look better?).

Name:  2000DodgeDurango-1.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  91.9 KBName:  2000DodgeDurango-3.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  140.0 KB
If you look closely, you can see my '06 Charger Daytona in the garage in this one
Name:  2000DodgeDurango-2.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  108.0 KB
Immaculate interior with 3rd row seating, which I'll probably never use, but it's nice to have:
Name:  2000DodgeDurangoInterior.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  79.9 KB
Just added the steering wheel cover & floor mats today:
Name:  2000DodgeDurangoInterior-2.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  76.0 KB

There's SO much more I want to do to it in time, but right now, I have to fix a few small things first.....it needs a new lower sector shaft for the steering & a turn signal relay as the left turn signal is acting really weird.....right after I got it, when I turned it on, the odometer blinked with it & then last night, the light stayed on & then later, when I turned it on, both sides would blink, but the left was brighter than the right.....maybe it's haunted? LOL

Last edited by BenitaLynn; 10-06-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by BenitaLynn
Hi all.....I just found this forum last night & I'm lovin' looking at all of the D's out there You got some great rides! I just purchased a 2000 Durango SLT 4X4 with a 5.9 Magnum V8 on Monday. I had a 2002 new, but traded it in 2 years after I got it.....BIG mistake! I wish I still had that one now! But I wanted to buy another one so that I can let my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T sit in the garage in the brutal Michigan winters, so I found this one for $6,000 & it only has 69,000 miles on it! The guy hardly ever drove it because he had a company vehicle. He changed the oil every 3,000 miles & the interior is immaculate.....doesn't even look like anyone has ever been in it! He gave me every single paper of work that he's had done to it & he even put in a sunroof, Sony stereo system & a new hitch. There is a lot of rust underneath (should I be concerned about that?), but only a few small spots on the body itself.

Anyway, onto the pics of how it looks right now.....hoping to very soon as some ventvisors, bug shield, mud flaps (already purchased, just have to install) & sidebars (once I decide between either chrome or black....which do you all think will look better?).

If you look closely, you can see my '06 Charger Daytona in the garage in this one

Immaculate interior with 3rd row seating, which I'll probably never use, but it's nice to have:

Just added the steering wheel cover & floor mats today:

There's SO much more I want to do to it in time, but right now, I have to fix a few small things first.....it needs a new lower sector shaft for the steering & a turn signal relay as the left turn signal is acting really weird.....right after I got it, when I turned it on, the odometer blinked with it & then last night, the light stayed on & then later, when I turned it on, both sides would blink, but the left was brighter than the right.....maybe it's haunted? LOL
with you living in michigan i think it would be worth your money to take it in somewhere and get the underbody get coated with some antirust paint. that will keep it from rusting further... very very nice looking durango.

Quick Reply: Show us your 1st Gen. Durango!