1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Infinity Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be making a stop off at home depot for some liquid tape.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
MongoDV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the new Polk speakers yesterday and installed them. They sound very good. Bass is good. The volume seems to a little lower than the stock speakers. I still think the stock ones have more BOOM.

Crutchfield sent everything I needed to install for free with the purchase of speakers. Adapters to fit into the stock plastic mountings and wire harness adapters so no need for cutting,splicing or soldering. I did have to alter the plastic adapters a bit with the dremel. They were a hair too big on the ends and one hole didn't quite line up.

Ended up 3 of the 4 stock speakers had torn webbing.

I don't know why they even make those shallow mount speakers. They suck.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
MongoDV8
Professional

I got a buddy here at work with a Durango and he wants to try the rubber cement method. Any tips or tricks ? How long do you let it dry ? Puy it on both sides of the rip ?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, sharps??? How did you do it?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

let it dry overnight, you have to do it in sections (maybe 4 around the ring) and hold each section down for about 5 min after putting the cement on, then move on the the next one, i just brushed it onto the contact surface and pushed the foam surround ring into the rubber cement

Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MongoDV8
I got the new Polk speakers yesterday and installed them. They sound very good. Bass is good. The volume seems to a little lower than the stock speakers. I still think the stock ones have more BOOM.

Crutchfield sent everything I needed to install for free with the purchase of speakers. Adapters to fit into the stock plastic mountings and wire harness adapters so no need for cutting,splicing or soldering. I did have to alter the plastic adapters a bit with the dremel. They were a hair too big on the ends and one hole didn't quite line up.

Ended up 3 of the 4 stock speakers had torn webbing.

I don't know why they even make those shallow mount speakers. They suck.
Were the ones you used 2ohm speakers?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 AM
MongoDV8
Professional

I think all the new ones , including the shallow mounts, are 4 ohms. I tried to take a reading on my old ones with my meter but found out it had corroded badly inside and wasn't working right. I brought an old speaker to work and had an electrician here test it. He said they were 4 ohm.

I have a new meter at home and kept my old front speakers so I can test them tonight.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure the OEM versions are only 2ohm

Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the OEMs are 2 ohms, but fromt he way that i understand it 4 ohms would work in place if necessary, you will just lose some of the volume

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my experience. If your foam surrounds just came off, easy to glue them back on with rubber cement. If they are torn up, the only thing you can do is to replace the foam surrounds. fixing them with liquid tape, whatever will only give you a very short term solution. The foam will continue to deterioate and break again and put you back to square one. also, if you do not evenly apply the liquid rubber, you will have areas where the foam is stiffer and will cause the cone to not reverb efficiently. This may cause your voice coil to prematurely go out.

The only solution is to replace the foam surrounds if they are torn up. go to http://www.simplyspeakers.com to purchase a set of them. They custom make these foam surrounds for any size and shape of speakers!

Here is their link of the before/after photos. I also posted a DIY on how to replace the foam surrounds on your OEM infinity speakers.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/15refoaming.htm

As far as going aftermarket, you MUST keep the plastic trim rings in order to get the full range sound. Removing these plastic trims will limit what type of speakers you can put in. I am currently running Infinity 6012i's (not shallow si version) and they sound great! But these speakers are rated at 4ohms which still sounds good.

The current Infinity 6.5 inch reference series is now the 6022's. These are the new 2 ohm speakers so these should be a perfect replacement to the OEM's.

Currently trying to save up to buy that new blaupunkt 4 channel amplifer. Price ranges starting at $225 and higher.

http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-THA-.../dp/B000VOEFJC

This special amp will work with your existing OEM system. No modification to your OEM wiring whatsoever so you can always revert back to OEM on the fly. Also, this blaupunkt amp is the only 4 channel amp with enough wattage power to get the quality sound you want to hear and will bolt up in the original OEM location of the original amp on the passenger side kick panel with very minimum or no mods to make it fit. This amp also runs pretty cool so you won't have to worry about too much heat buildup behind the passenger kick panel.

Last edited by Kensai; 03-25-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Infinity Stereo