1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New with a towing question...help plz

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag's Toy
OK.. maybe I should start by saying that reading most of this is like reading Greek. I tried to Google the weight of the camper many times, but can't find it. I emailed the manufacturer of it, and was told they don't have that info. (It's been sold to another company I guess). The links look like they go to larger and smaller engines, but not the 4.7L I have. Do I have to replace the gears (I think that's what it was called) or am I OK to just have the weight distribution hitch and sway bars? If it's going to cost me more to upgrade my truck than to buy another one.. then maybe I'm better off buying another one. That's why I asked about the cost. I don't have a friend that knows how to do this, and I'm not sure how involved it would be to have my mechanic do it. (He may tell me forget it... just get a different truck). There is a tow bar on my truck that looks like it was added after the fact. I want to get a pic and post it. It says something about 7400 lbs. on it. I don't know if that's what the bar is rated at, and if it is, what that means about my truck (if it makes any difference at all in towing ability).

I don't want to get the whole towing set up and then find out that I just tore up my truck. I guess that's my main problem. I'm seeing that some really cool changes were made to people's trucks that allow them to tow higher weights, but did you sink thounds of dollars into your truck to do that?
The hitch is rated at 7400 lbs but the rig can't do it because of the motor. If you are looking at regearing then it's about $1400 installed. If your going to be towing a lot then the 4.7L just doesn't cut it and you might even have the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle which is the smaller of the 2. I think you would be better off selling it and upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck.....IMHO

Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Jag's Toy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.. thank you! That's the bottom line of what I needed to know. I love my truck.. but if it's not going to do the job, it's not going to do it. Since it's older and I can't do any of the work myself, I don't want to go broke trying to make it into something it's not. I found a place to put my camper for the next year, which will give me time to look for another truck that will do the job. I need a cab that will fit 4-5 people, though, and I'll need to be able to cover the bed for bird cages or dogs traveling with us. This kinds blows, though.. as I do love my Durango!

Quick Reply: New with a towing question...help plz