1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

durango efan

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
02 4.7 Durango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default durango efan

My Durango has a tock electric fan that takes up a good amount of the radiator, it has lasted 160 thousand + miles, from what I understand it comes on with the AC, not sure yet if it also comes on at a set temperature. This engine was recently installed during which time I removed the clutch fan and purchased a Hayden 3642 controller and 3700 16” Super duty rapid cool fan from O’Reilley auto parts total cost just over $100 bucks, why can’t I hook the 3642 controller to the existing fan seeing how they both have only two wires going into the fan unit? And have the controller do what it would have done to the 16” inch fan.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me get this straight, you want to install ANOTHER efan behind the stock efan? I think that will disrupt the air flow and not cool the engine properly. That being said, the controller can only operate one efan at a time because of initial start-up. The fan needs more power to start up than to keep rotating. You may blow a fuse hooking two efans up to a single controller. IIRC, when I installed my FAL VSC, I hooked an input wire into the AC condenser relay so the fan will turn on when the AC condenser is on. There was also a push-in temp sensor that would turn on the fan when it got too hot over the set temp. The FAL also let the fan run for 20 seconds after the engine is shut off to further help cool the engine. Does your super duty fan move the same amount of air that your clutch fan and efan moved? Or more? If so, get rid of the stock efan and just use the super duty fan with the controller. JMHO.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 4.7 Durango
My Durango has a tock electric fan that takes up a good amount of the radiator, it has lasted 160 thousand + miles, from what I understand it comes on with the AC, not sure yet if it also comes on at a set temperature. This engine was recently installed during which time I removed the clutch fan and purchased a Hayden 3642 controller and 3700 16” Super duty rapid cool fan from O’Reilley auto parts total cost just over $100 bucks, why can’t I hook the 3642 controller to the existing fan seeing how they both have only two wires going into the fan unit? And have the controller do what it would have done to the 16” inch fan.
are you . . .
A) trying to put the controller in to run the stock Efan?
or
B) trying to replace the stock Efan with the 16" fan and run that off the stock wiring,
OR
C) like dan suggested and run both of them off the new controller?
or
D) install the new efan and controller in place of the clutch fan?

what alot of people do is remove the clutch fan and replace it with an e-fan which will run on its own circuit, independent of of the stock efan, and then leave the stock efan in there.

btw the stock efan has a kick on temperature, and it also goes on whenever the air conditioner is on.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Sharp, you drinking again? I am against running two fans on one controller. It'll blow the fuse! I suggested he run just one fan off the controller. If the 16" moves more air than the two stock combined, he should remove all stock fans and just use the 16".

Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
Sharp, you drinking again? I am against running two fans on one controller. It'll blow the fuse! I suggested he run just one fan off the controller. If the 16" moves more air than the two stock combined, he should remove all stock fans and just use the 16".
if you read my thread, i said most people don't touch the stock one and just replace the clutch fan with an e-fan which has its own controller, i did NOT say that he should try running them off of one controller, it wont work (at least not for very long )

EDIT: and yea im starting early today . . .

Old 03-30-2010, 01:15 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And here I though I was the drunk ***......LOL

Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
are you . . .

what alot of people do is remove the clutch fan and replace it with an e-fan which will run on its own circuit, independent of of the stock efan, and then leave the stock efan in there.

btw the stock efan has a kick on temperature, and it also goes on whenever the air conditioner is on.
So what's C say? HUHHUHHUHHUHHUHHUHHUH???
And 4pm is not early.
And hydra, you STILL are the drunk ***!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yea, but my first post was at 1pm . . . (gotta catch up with hydra somehow )

Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
02 4.7 Durango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efan

Wow

Sorry if that was confusing, yes the clutch fan has been removed and I have been rolling with just with the efan that comes on with the AC, so what I have been doing is leaving the AC on Low, just so I dont forget.

My question was actually a comparison of the stock efan and the Hayden below, since the Hayden application mounts through the radiator and the existing efan is already on the radiator then why not just install the Hayden controller to it instead, no I have no idea how much the stock one pulls.

If this is the suggested route does anyone have some wiring for dummies schematic? To do this.

With either application I would appreciate any help with the wiring I could get, when I first had this idea I didn’t realize the vehicles stock efan was so big so I never considered not buying the Hayden 16 inch fan.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3700/ fan 1400 cfm

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...oller%5C&dds=1 controller

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
are you . . .
A) trying to put the controller in to run the stock Efan?
or
B) trying to replace the stock Efan with the 16" fan and run that off the stock wiring,
OR
or
D) install the new efan and controller in place of the clutch fan?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

double post, but i think i understand, in your situation i think you would probably replace the stock efan, your find some way to mount up the new efan, im sure it cant be that hard to mount it to the fan shroud behind the stock efan i hope you understand what i am saying, if you were close enough to me i would be willing to work on the install with you

Quick Reply: durango efan