1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Dodge Durango odometer does not light up

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
matco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Dodge Durango odometer does not light up

Good afternoon,

I removed the instrument cluster, and I would like to know if it's possible to change the odometer bulb which at this time is not working, everything else is working fine. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome to DF
GEAR SELECTOR INDICATOR
DESCRIPTION
An automatic transmission gear selector indicator is standard factory-installed equipment in this model, when it is also equipped with an optional automatic transmission. Two types of gear selector indicators are used, mechanical or electronic. Either gear selector indicator gives an indication of the transmission gear that has been selected with the automatic transmission gear selector lever. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional 45RFE automatic transmission, the instrument cluster contains an integral electronic gear selector indicator. All other automatic transmission types use the mechanical gear selector indicator.

Diagnosis of the electronic gear selector indicator should be performed using a DRBIIIŽ scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual. The electronic gear selector indicator cannot be adjusted or repaired. If faulty or damaged, the instrument cluster unit must be replaced.

The mechanical gear selector indicator housing is mounted to the rear of the instrument cluster housing. The mechanical gear selector indicator pointer is easily visible through an opening provided in the front of the instrument cluster mask, and is also lighted by the cluster illumination lamps for visibility at night. This group covers only the removal and installation of the mechanical gear selector indicator from the instrument cluster. Refer to Steering Column in the Removal and Installation section of Steering for the mechanical gear selector indicator cable adjustment procedures.

OPERATION
The electronic gear selector indicator uses a digital Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) to indicate the gear selector position. The electronic gear selector indicator is controlled by messages received by the instrument cluster circuitry from the electronic Transmission Control Module (TCM) over the CCD data bus network.

The mechanical gear selector indicator has a spring-loaded pointer that is mechanically actuated by a cable connected to the gear selector indicator driver lever of the gear selector lever mechanism on the steering column. When the gear selector lever is moved the indicator driver lever moves, which actuates the spring-loaded pointer through the mechanical actuator cable. An adjuster mounted on the steering column housing provides a mechanical means of calibrating the gear selector indicator mechanism.
The anwser to your question. Would be to replace,because there are no bulbs to replace.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 AM
BikeBuilders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I am confused here, but the original post was about an odometer not lighting up. Yet the reply was about the gear indicator. You lost me....

I have a '99 5.2 Durango and my digital odometer does not light up, so I have no idea how many miles are on it, or how far I have driven, etc... I don't necessarily see a connection to my gear indicator (mechanical, not digital) unless maybe it's looped in the circuit, but everything else works and lights up fine. Did I miss something?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by BikeBuilders; 10-29-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure on the digital style, but you could take it out and look at it.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Durango odometer does not light up