1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 head removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you need a picture on how the timing chains look when they have set up. Just send me your email and i'll send you the timing chain set up.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:01 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno how in the hell you got the heads off. The 4.7 in my Grand Cherokee dropped a valve seat and I couldn't even fathom pulling the heads with the engine stuffed in that tiny compartment.

I just pulled the engine over the holiday weekend. This weeks project is pulling both heads and sending them both to a local shop to be rebuilt. I'm not about to go through all this just to have a valve seat go in the other head three months down the road.

BTW, haven't determined if I'm gonna need a piston yet but I wouldn't be surprised. I can find standard pistons cheap but can't find any for the HO version. Dealer wants $290 for one!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

hammer, the engine bay on the D is bigger than the one on your jeep, i can STAND INSIDE of mine if i take the fan and fan shroud off

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM
katumba1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. Little help, please. I got a 03 4.7 (91k) that the PO overheated and blew the head gaskets (at very least). It did run when I got it, just very poorly and sounded awful. No noise from the bottom end, though. Compression was all over the map (155 on #5 all the way down to 15 on #3 and everything in between).

I've got it almost completely torn down now. However, when I went to put it in TDC, the mark on the crank does not correspond to #1 piston being all the way up. I don't want to proceed until i know if i'm going to screw something up by continuing w/o TDC. Its almost as if someone was in there before and screwed it up (possibly causing the problems in the first place).

Should I just continue and not worry about it and fix TDC later?

Thanks!
Kat

Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i would get TDC fixed if its not there i would expect it to not run right if at all

Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by katumba1
Hey all. Little help, please. I got a 03 4.7 (91k) that the PO overheated and blew the head gaskets (at very least). It did run when I got it, just very poorly and sounded awful. No noise from the bottom end, though. Compression was all over the map (155 on #5 all the way down to 15 on #3 and everything in between).

I've got it almost completely torn down now. However, when I went to put it in TDC, the mark on the crank does not correspond to #1 piston being all the way up. I don't want to proceed until i know if i'm going to screw something up by continuing w/o TDC. Its almost as if someone was in there before and screwed it up (possibly causing the problems in the first place).

Should I just continue and not worry about it and fix TDC later?

Thanks!
Kat
There's really no way that TDC can change, are you sure you're looking at #1 piston? It's the drivers side front cylinder. Rotate the engine until it's at the top of stroke and you're all set. The crank is keyed, so unless the key is sheared the harmonic balancer only fits in one location. As I recall the timing tab is located on the timing chain cover, which has to be off to do timing chain work. You can temporarily slip it in place along with the balancer to double check your work. The balancer has a line scored into it for alignment purposes. Make sure you clean the parts up good so you can clearly see the marks.

Bob

Quick Reply: 4.7 head removal