1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

The Correct Way To Purge Any Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:42 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Correct Way To Purge Any Transmission

I am posting this because I think that everyone here should know exactly the correct way to Purge(a flush is very bad for the internals for many reasons) a transmission instead of taking it to the so called shops that use the machines which will do more harm than good and also because I went round and round with a moron from another forum who thinks that machine flushing is not bad on any transmission. This is for the 45RFE and 545RFE Transmissions but can also be used for other auto transmissions.
1. Drop trans. pan and clean debris off of bottom of pan and on magnet.
2. Remove old filter or filters and install new filter or filters.
3. Install cleaned pan and torque all bolts according to manufacturer's specs.
4. Add 6 quarts of trans. fluid. ATF+4
5. Before starting engine, remove return line from radiator and install fitting with a hose on it. Put that into a pan to catch the trans. fluid. I use an old gallon gas can as that is a very good visual.
6. Start engine and do not worry about tranny fluid spraying all over the place, it will be trickling out of that hose you put on. Visually watch the container that is catching the old stuff and add accordingly.
7. A person will need around 18 quarts to do this, 6 for the initial fill and 12 for the flush. There are no such thing as shortcuts in this way of doing the flush. Shortcuts are the machine flush that makes easy money for shops who do not change out the filters esp. stealerships.
For all other transmissions, look up what it would take for a complete fill and not just a fluid and filter change and that is what you will be buying in quarts of tranny fluid.

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 01-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Thats good to know. Have you tried to add this to the DIY sticky that hydrashocker had started.This would be good to keep. If you had not tried, maybe you can get hydrashocker to post it for you.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 PM
liblib54

Master tech, what do you think about this. Since you are the tranny expert. Is it better this way? or the stealership flush?.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
Thats good to know. Have you tried to add this to the DIY sticky that hydrashocker had started.This would be good to keep. If you had not tried, maybe you can get hydrashocker to post it for you.
Thanks Master Tech and I will wait till Hydrashocker reads the post to see if it is good enough to add as a sticky. I just get so tired of people who think that flushing a transmission, no matter what type is not going to do any harm. Their excuse is that if dealers have the flush machines, it must be good. Dealers have the flush machines for 2 reasons. One is that it is faster, which makes them money, than dropping the pan and doing it the right way and two, it will eventually cause more harm than good to your transmission offering the dealerships the option of getting you to buy a replacement through them. Facts are facts no matter how some people think otherwise. Flushing pushes all the particles that are at the bottom of the pan towards the filter or filters under pressure. That causes all the crap that was in the filters to be pushed towards areas that the filters were there to protect from the git go. Long term...eventual transmission failure.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

this is the safest way to get ALL the trans fluid changed out of the truck, idk if i would call it a "FLUSH" but it does give you 100% clean fluid

Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

I was thinking about that shrpshtr325 but I figured putting the word "flush" in the heading would be an easier way of doing an advanced search here instead of wording it differently.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Dislander
Professional

the biggie is whether or not the "flush" machine is powered or uses the tranny pump.

the one I use is more accurately called a transfusion device. it ad's fluid as it's extracted just like the bucket method but with no chance of running dry.

Biggest problem with most shops using these is they act like it makes changing the filter & cleaning the pan, not to mention adjustments, is not needed. called being lazy!!

Never, on any car, allow them to hook up a powered flush machine. they blow seals, cram junk into ports & in general don't do you any favors.

My 2psi

Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is technically a "Purge" which is the correct way to Flush Transmission. I will place it in the DIY sticks and I appreciate to time spent writing it.

Hope you like what I said to the moron over there on the Dak/Dur site......LOL

Old 05-09-2010, 04:34 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
This is technically a "Purge" which is the correct way to Flush Transmission. I will place it in the DIY sticks and I appreciate to time spent writing it.

Yes, I liked your response on that post and was lmao at your response and if you noticed, he never responded afterwards.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker

Linky to the response, please???

Quick Reply: The Correct Way To Purge Any Transmission