1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

The Correct Way To Purge Any Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you have the 44 or 46 it is just a band adjustment, tighten the bolt to a certain point, hydra has the numbers for you

Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 AM
San Antone RR
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock 5.2, so I imagine it is a 44 like was said earlier. I found the thread about the solenoid replacement and there was a link to the band adjustment.

I have never done tranny work, so this will be new ground for me. Going to get the kit, fluid and the solenoid and OD valve tomorrow. I doubt if anyone will have it in stock and be open on a Sunday. Also need a in/lb torque wrench.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
kingoftow
Rookie
Default Tranny-purge info...

You see...that's why I'm glad I subscribed to this forum, you folks are constantly dropping good usable tech on us. This is especially appreciated by veteren home shop mechanics like me who do all of our own work on our vehicles, thanks much...kingoftow

Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 AM
otgarzà
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best posts ive seen. Read this awhile back and looking forward to doing this sometime soon when i get my new trans pan. Thanks for the amazing write up.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM
lragan

45AutoPete, --Thanks for the careful post of purge instructions.

Anyone who knows:

I started getting a P0740 code on the 45RFE in my '02 Durango shortly after an oil change shop changed out my filter -- and, I suspect now, added the wrong fluid. Only thing I don't understand is how to know when to stop the purge process. Will the fluid suddenly change color? Quit when I have collected 12 quarts in the discharge bucket?

Last edited by lragan; 11-02-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Clarify my question with additional detail.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lragan
45AutoPete, --Thanks for the careful post of purge instructions.

Anyone who knows:

I started getting a P0740 code on the 45RFE in my '02 Durango shortly after an oil change shop changed out my filter -- and, I suspect now, added the wrong fluid. Only thing I don't understand is how to know when to stop the purge process. Will the fluid suddenly change color? Quit when I have collected 12 quarts in the discharge bucket?

I would assume that since its pretty fresh fluid that chances are its not very dirty yet to notice a change in color when the new stuff comes out.. If it where me, i would just run 13 quarts though it and hope you got it all out without any neg results.

P0740 on the 45RFE is a torque converter clutch control circuit fault. That's usually thrown when there is a bad converter clutch solenoid. Being that you suspect the wrong fluid added it could have killed it or jammed it up some how

Last edited by Old_School; 11-02-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 AM
lragan
Smile Thanks for your reply Old_School

I am working through the checklist of possible causes one by one, starting, since I am basically lazy, with the easiest to accomplish ---

I found a rather long discourse here:

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0740

So, I will update progress here for the amusement of the more experienced...

Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 AM
davidcareyf

5. Before starting engine, remove return line from radiator and install fitting with a hose on it. Put that into a pan to catch the trans. fluid. I use an old gallon gas can as that is a

Okay, just to be clear.
You are saying to remove the return line from the radiator, wedge a hose on it, not put some kind of 'T' fitting on the line. Run the hose in a catch can and replace the fluid as it is filling the catch can, while the engine is running. I take it the engine is in neutral? When the fluid coming out starts to look fresh, then stop the engine I assume, and reinstall the return line, check for leaks. Does this sound right?

While the engine is running, do you place it into gear, drive or reverse?

Thanks
David

Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidcareyf
5. Before starting engine, remove return line from radiator and install fitting with a hose on it. Put that into a pan to catch the trans. fluid. I use an old gallon gas can as that is a

Okay, just to be clear.
You are saying to remove the return line from the radiator, wedge a hose on it, not put some kind of 'T' fitting on the line. Run the hose in a catch can and replace the fluid as it is filling the catch can, while the engine is running. I take it the engine is in neutral? When the fluid coming out starts to look fresh, then stop the engine I assume, and reinstall the return line, check for leaks. Does this sound right?

While the engine is running, do you place it into gear, drive or reverse?

Thanks

David

pretty much, just make sure NOT to run it dry....

Dodge transmissions do not flow fluid while they are in park so you would have to put it in a gear to get fluid.. i would use neutral.

Quick Reply: The Correct Way To Purge Any Transmission