1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need some advice on things

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Livingit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on things

2002 Durango 4.7L V8, 4WD 108k miles

I have bought this and started bringing life back into it. I replaced tires, rotors, brakes, FULL 100k main., new plugs, new exhaust manifold gasket, new O2 sensor, new right inner tie rod, and STILL TRYING TO LOCATE SMALL OIL LEAK, and cleaned the hell out of it. Looks great now. Runs better too. I am learning as I go.

Some issues I am still having with it:

1) The SUV leans to the drivers side. GoodYear says the ride height is the same on either side. But you can see the difference on level ground and in the wheel well. Its driving me nuts. Is this a torsion bar issue? I dont know why this is or if the previous owner even noticed it. I bought at 103K miles. Good Year mentioned they couldnt get the alignment on the pass. side to proper spec. Camber was .02 off. Not sure if this matters. Something odd here. Popped a curb or something with SUV at some point I think.

2) Recently a clicking or mild popping sound can be hear under front of SUV when hitting small bumps or something as simple as going up that little incline that rises to your driveway. Its minor. Nothing seems to be affected. But I would like ideas on what that is so I can direct someone to look at it if need be.

3) When is it a good idea to have the shocks looked at or replaced? Springs? Should I have the ball joints looked at(read it was a recall and an issue)? They seem a little soft but not bottoming out or anything severe. Do shops give free diagnostics on such things?

4) How do I check or find out if my SUV has had the recall work done over the years? Will this still be honored by a dealership even though I am a 3rd owner?

5) What other things should I be looking into at 100K miles that durango's are notorious for having issues with. My next project is the fuel filter.

I want this to last me at least another 100k miles. I plan on having it a while. Any other ideas I could be doing to make it healthier would be great. Thanks for the assistance. I use it for my family, commuting some and hauling my boat, camping and tons of outdoor activities. Complete multi purpose vehicle for me and I love it so far. I want it to last.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Glad to see you are being thorough in your maintenance. Here are some answers to your questions
!. Most likely a torsion bar adjustment needs to be made.
2. Possible cv joint or ball joint causing the noise.
3. Shocks should be replaced. Many choices here for that in what brand to use. Yes, have the ball joints looked at. Rear leaf springs should be ok.
4. There is a site to go for that and I am sure someone here knows and will answer that.
5. Transmission fluid and filters changed. DO NOT FLUSH! Differential fluid change with synthetic fluids-75w90. There is no external fuel filter, only a built in filter on your fuel pump. Just use good gasoline and throw in some sea foam in your tank once in a while, keeps the injectors clean. You might want to take off your throttle body and clean that with carb. cleaner. Change your PCV valve.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Livingit
The SUV leans to the drivers side.

Have you just tried driving with your head tilting the other way?

But seriosuly...
...sure the seat is level?

Durango seats are notorious for rocking due to a design failure resulting is a broken seat frame.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-11-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Livingit

lol....tilt my head...no its really the whole vehicle. I have measured it and there is a 1 1/2 inch difference from ground to bumper on front and 1 inch difference in the rear from Driver side to Passenger side.

I have changed the fluids in the transmission and all is well there. No debris or metal flaking. No flushing. I have done the front and rear diff. as well with the gear oil you suggested. That was part of my 100k main. Havent replaces the PCV valve yet. I heard thats a good idea as well.

Sea Foam? Is that just like standard injector cleaner like techron?

Thanks for the ideas so far. Please keep them coming.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

go here to check your recalls http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/

and i agree with everything that has been said already you could do the bumper bounce test for the shocks
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bumper+bounce+test
http://www.checkyourshocks.com/

Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Seafoam in my opinion is better than techron. Cheaper at Wally World too. There is another cleaner that is not Dodge related but GM makes it, it is called Upper Engine and Injector Cleaner, p/n 88861802 real good stuff!!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 AM
T0A5T
Rookie

sea foams the ****. works good for starting fires too!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Glad to see you are being thorough in your maintenance. Here are some answers to your questions
!. Most likely a torsion bar adjustment needs to be made.
2. Possible cv joint or ball joint causing the noise.
3. Shocks should be replaced. Many choices here for that in what brand to use. Yes, have the ball joints looked at. Rear leaf springs should be ok.
4. There is a site to go for that and I am sure someone here knows and will answer that.
5. Transmission fluid and filters changed. DO NOT FLUSH! Differential fluid change with synthetic fluids-75w90. There is no external fuel filter, only a built in filter on your fuel pump. Just use good gasoline and throw in some sea foam in your tank once in a while, keeps the injectors clean. You might want to take off your throttle body and clean that with carb. cleaner. Change your PCV valve.
+1 on those!

Sounds like this was a VERY BIG MAN......LOL

If there is a difference between the fender and the ground at the fender from the revers side then obviously there is a difference in height adjustment at the middle of the Torsion Bar Input to Control Arm junction and the ground. There must be a difference! Here is some instructions (see post #4): https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ment-woes.html

The only way there couldn't be a difference if the height adjustments are the same is if the body mounts are damaged.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Livingit

So I just found that the bottom ball joints are wearing out. From what I can find out with VIN it has had the warranty work done on it already. Its only got 108k on it. This shouldnt happen twice should it? Is there much of a chance that the dealership could or would do the repairs under the same warranty. I have heard of some doing so. What do you all think?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the recall was on the upper balljoints i believe, so the lowers wont be replaced by them unless you still have a warranty on the truck, and they will last longer if you do them yourself and use a nice set of greasable moogs than i you let the dealer put another set of OEMs on

Quick Reply: Need some advice on things