1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
i4getlots
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy how bad is it?

background info...98 durango 4x4 5.9L auto

heres an update.... replaced the brake light switch on the brake pedal. now have all the brake lights again! yay!!!

now for the problem....
first noticed the line was leaking in the rear where the rubber hose comes from the front into a coupling and then goes to the metal brake lines. the right line is fine not rusted through. the left/drivers side line was rusted hence why it was leaking. so i started loosening the line from the coupling no problem except the hose actually broke off due to the rust. but i got the threaded section off no problem.

heres the big problem. when i went to remove the line from behind the drum i actually broke it off. not the line itsefl but a part of the housing where the line threads into. i have some pictures attached...well if i can do that successfully. hopefully u can see it

my question is how much trouble am i in for since i broke that off?

Attached Thumbnails how bad is it?-0517001450-resized2.jpg   how bad is it?-0517001524-resized2.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
i4getlots

also the first picture is the backside of the driver side brake drum where i broke it off

the second picture is the line itself with the chunk attached to the brake line

so how bad of a mess am i in?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

You will need to remove the wheel and brake drum from the side where it broke off. The piece you broke off is part of the wheel cylinder which is not that hard to replace. It is held on by the 2 bolts that are in the picture. Make sure to spray some penetrating oil around the bolts to help in loosening up them. If you break the bolts, no biggy, just buy some new ones when you get the new wheel cylinder.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 PM
i4getlots

thanks for the reply. i just looked up the part on autozone's website $10 for a new one. after looking at what a new one looks like, i can clearly see that it is indeed part of the wheel cylinder!

should i replace the other side for piece of mind or is it like replacing shocks were you have to replace both at the same time?

thanks again, I will let you know how it goes!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

There is no need to replace the other side. It is not like shocks so you do not have to do it. You are welcome and please let us all know how it went for ya!!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
i4getlots

thanks again. i plan on working on it this afternoon. it'll probably be a little difficult due to all the rust that you can see in the picture. well the removal will be, the installation will be a breeze.

i'll post some pictures later on

thanks again!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM
i4getlots

update

bought a new wheel cylinder installed it with the new brake line. had my wife step on the brakes to check for leaks. no leaks.

bleed the system or so i thought.

i say that cuz once i thought i was done i turned on the truck and the pedal went pretty damn close to the floor.

im afraid that im gonna have to take it to the dealer to have them bleed the ABS system too.

ill bleed it again sometime this week when i have time

Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Thanks for the update and let us know how everything works out for you.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

~K~

Make sure that the cylinder connections are tight. Now loosen the bleeder and have your wife depress the bake peddle. Do NOT have her release the brake peddle until you re-tighten the bleeder screw as this sucks air into the lines! Do this until you have fluid at the brake.

Remember, you need to fully fill the replaced line and the cylinder with fluid! Check the master cylinder under the hood and replace any lost fluid (keep a close eye on it!) You should use DOT-3 brake fluid. If you let the bake fluid pour all the way out of the master cylinder when you broke the line then introduced air into the ABS. If the ABS has air then a DBR3 scan tool is needed to open the ABS.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM
looneybin

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but what were your brake lights doing before you replaced the switch?
I'm also having brake light issues with the right side only