1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacing liftgate..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Gmach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing liftgate..HELP

I have decided to replace the liftgate because of the rust. I found a good one in the same color at the wreckers. Is it a straight forward process? Does the wiring harness to the door just unplug at the top? Will the latch work properly? There is no key with the new / used replacement door. Anything else I need to be aware of ? I've looked for threads about the replacement but have found nothing...which is surprising ( or re-assuring) 'cause I'm sure many doors have been replace due to rust....at least in the north. HELP please,any links to DIY on this subject or just general resources or source for manual info. . etc.. thnax

Last edited by Gmach; 05-20-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wiring did change in some of the years so you need to check the harness and ensure it's the same as yours. Where it is I don't know. Make sure you get everything just in case you have to gut yours and replace the wiper motor. Everything else is the same if i remember right. Look into your door first before you mess up the stuff you might need on the junker.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with hydra, it shouldnt be too bad.

where in the north are you? (jw bc if you are close by and hit any major snags id be able to help most weekends)

Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Gmach
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lewiston NY.....thanks for the offer...but I don't EXPECT and problems I can't deal with. It's the SURPRISES I don't like........like different wiper motors or lock assembly. And how hard is it to get the inside trim cover off without destroying the connectors ? Should I buy somw new ones? It's almost impssible to find one without rust...esp. up here....and in the right color...so I had to get it !

Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Never fully disassembled one so i don't know but there is Wiper Motor wiring change over in 2000 (I think it was 2000 anyway?). So take the harness off the donor!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
falcon_o
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Never fully disassembled one so i don't know but there is Wiper Motor wiring change over in 2000 (I think it was 2000 anyway?). So take the harness off the donor!
I just replaced the tailgate on my 98 Durango with one that was from a later year - exact year unknown - and can verify the wiring is different. Although all the connectors on the new gate were the same the rear wiper blows a fuse when turned on (intermittent wipe) but works if I press the button for continuous wipe & wash. However when I release the button the wiper stops where is without resetting to the rest postion. I did save the old harness /wiper motor but will first see if I can find wiring diagrams for the original and replacement gate to see if I can make a simple wiring change vs swapping the harness and/or motor.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the insides changed completely in 2000 relating to the wiper/pump. 98/99 match and 2000-03 match close enough internally to be fairly interchangable. IIRC, there were small vendor changes from 2000-03 on pump and motor so they may be tiny differences, but again, generally the same. That can not be said for the 98/99s.

IndyDurango

Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
falcon_o

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Yes, the insides changed completely in 2000 relating to the wiper/pump. 98/99 match and 2000-03 match close enough internally to be fairly interchangable. IIRC, there were small vendor changes from 2000-03 on pump and motor so they may be tiny differences, but again, generally the same. That can not be said for the 98/99s.

IndyDurango
After reviewing 1998 and 2002 rear washer/wiper wiring diagrams, I just completed a few simple modifications which allowed a 2002 tailgate to work on a 98.
- Remove the tailgate panels and note the connector going to the tailgate wiper motor has three wires - black, brown/pink, brown/light green.
- At 3" above the connector cut the brown/pink and brown light green wires
- Connect the harness end of the brown/light green wire to the wiper motor connector brown/pink wire.

The rear wiper/washer switch will faction as follows:

1. Pressing the switch will activate the washer but will not activate the wipers.
2. Turning the switch to the on position will activate the rear wiper continuously.
3. If you press the switch while in the on position the washer will activate
4. When you turn the wiper off do so when in the park position as there is no functonal park sensor.

You lose the intermittent wipe feature, wiper park when turning off and wiper activation when pressing the switch in the wiper off position but much easier then replacing the 2002 motor and harness with ones from a 1998

Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well you can always switch out the motors and anything else and create the older or newer versions.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 AM
falcon_o

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Well you can always switch out the motors and anything else and create the older or newer versions.
TRUE - I chose the "lazy" path of clipping 2 wires and making one connection.

As I have the tailgate harness, wiper motor assembly and lock actuator from my 98, it is available to anyone who wants it for the cost of shipping.

The following users liked this post:
Nate Reilly (05-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Replacing liftgate..HELP