1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 AM
zachalex111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problem

Hey everyone, The past year or so I've been trying to repair the A/C on my 2003 D. It's been to the shop twice but still no luck. Brand new compressor, and freon but still doesn't blow cold, and the rear hardly blows at all much less cold air (both, 2nd and 3rd row). Any help is GREATLY appreciated, summer is approaching in Phoenix!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:20 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i dunno if i should make a comment about it.. sharp may post a neg again about my post.. anyhow i am no A/C person but for some reason seems many have this issue. My A/C system does not blow that cold as well but i read about an alternative to r134a.. its suppose to allow the system to get colder air. I do not remem what they call it but i try looking it up for u in a bit.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

come on jo, thats not likely, i dont know much about a/c systems (well i took a class explaining how they work, but thats about it, no real use here as it was all theoretical)

and id be interested to hear about your alternative.

to the OP, maybe check the blend doors to see if they are switching off heat to a/c

on the rear not blowing, is it a very low air flow even with heat? if so it might be the resistor for the rear fan motor

Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Originally Posted by zachalex111
Hey everyone, The past year or so I've been trying to repair the A/C on my 2003 D. It's been to the shop twice but still no luck. Brand new compressor, and freon but still doesn't blow cold, and the rear hardly blows at all much less cold air (both, 2nd and 3rd row). Any help is GREATLY appreciated, summer is approaching in Phoenix!
Did they replace the drier along with the compressor? If they didn't, that is part of your problem. As far as the rear goes, the rear blend air door usually breaks on the attachment that goes to the actuator motor. Real cheap piece of plastic and that is always the problem with the rear part, esp. if you try to go from heat to cold. The a/c will never blow out real cold at an idle, R134A gets cold when driving down the road. Replace the drier and make sure that they put in the proper amount of freon because Durango's with rear a/c take a lot more than the usual car does. I would not bother to put any of those so called products that are supposed to be colder than R134A because most of those replacement freons are flammable.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
come on jo, thats not likely, i dont know much about a/c systems (well i took a class explaining how they work, but thats about it, no real use here as it was all theoretical)

and id be interested to hear about your alternative.

to the OP, maybe check the blend doors to see if they are switching off heat to a/c

on the rear not blowing, is it a very low air flow even with heat? if so it might be the resistor for the rear fan motor
I also agree with your statement about the a/c blend air doors not coming off of the heat side for the a/c side. Whatever happened to the good ol' cable actuated lever from years ago? Seems everything is going electronics and costing more and at the same time, breaking down more.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
thomsonc
Amateur

You mentioned if a Durango has rear a/c, it requires more R134a. What would the ideal psi for one with both front and rear a/c?

Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Under the hood is a sticker telling exactly the correct amount of R134A that the vehicle requires. If the shop only put in the amount for a single A/C unit, that is not enough. Pressures vary according to ambient air temperatures.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And amounts are different if you do or do not have rear a/c.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Under the hood is a sticker telling exactly the correct amount of R134A that the vehicle requires. If the shop only put in the amount for a single A/C unit, that is not enough. Pressures vary according to ambient air temperatures.
Ummm... hydra?... I think pete already answered that... ^^^

Old 06-01-2010, 04:07 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Quick Reply: A/C Problem