Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Common A/C issues: problems and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Fumblefingers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a 2000 Durango SLT.

I recently took it to the dealership to have the A/C checked telling them it was not getting as cold as before, in the cabin. After I picked the car up, I took it back the next day saying now it does not even get as cold as before I brought it in. They told me they could not find anything wrong and that he filled the freon the first time and since it did not take much he did not charge me for it. Whoo hoo. He also they put dye in it and did not see any leaks. Incidentally, this A/C work was on a service order that included various fluid flushes, alignment and a window motor etc, the whole job being around $1500

Well the A/C still works very poorly and lately I have started noticing a mildew smell, particularly if I am running the A/C and stop the car for a little while to step out and when I get back in and fire it up, it smells nasty.

I also have noticed that I do NOT see the water on the ground under the car like before, the condensation dripping off.

I am wondering if it is running off elsewhere into the vents and building up into mould?

I have an appointment to take the car back next week and they say they will look at everything again, no problem.....but just to inform myself better.......

1. What could be causing the A/C to not blow cold, something that developed over the last 2-3 months.
2. What could be causing the mildew smell?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the mildew smell is probalby a clogged a/c drain, it sticks out through the firewall into the engine bay, just behind the passenger side of the engine

check you e-fan to make sure it is coming on when the a/c is on, also make sure that your clutch fan is working properly (spin it by hand w/ the engine off, 1/2 spin or more and the clutch is bad) also make sure the a/c unit in the radiator is clean and not clogged up w/ bugs/dirt

Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Fumblefingers

Hi and sorry it took me a while to reply, got caught up with all sorts of busy.

Thanks very much, I will check this out. The bug situation is not bad at all, I checked that yesterday but I will test the fan clutch like you said and look for that drain.

Appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
ICEDODGE
Amateur
Default mildew smell in car

Hello Fumblefingers.
I have this same problem with my Durango 2001 SLT 4,7L.
There is no clogg in the vent line and the clutch fan is working properly.
Still mold smell and high moisture in the car.
Did you find any solution to the problem when you took the car in again?
I would really appreciate any information on the problem.

Best regards,
ICEDODGE

Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Fumblefingers

Not yet. I am still waiting for the Dodge dealer to hook me up with a loaner. I cannot take it back unless they give me a car to drive. They take a long time with my car here ....the last time it was almost a week to do a few things. I guess all the dealers in the area have closed so they are super busy.

I will let you know.

You know I tried to look for the drain but I cannot see it. Is there a diagram or photo anyone knows about that shows the exact location of the drain?

We had a couple brutal hot days here in LA and after running the car with the AC on all the time, I still do not see the usual condensation drip.

One thing I did remember is one day earlier this year when I was working on the show 24 where I was for about 6-7 years, the metal shop foreman called me to let me know I had a coolant leak. I bopped over there and got under the car and wet my fingers in the pool of fluid and smelled it and it was not coolant, it was AC condensation but it was coming from a totally different place than usual. It seemed to be dropping off the exhaust manifold. It was dripping onto the EX from up high by the AC pipes and then running down towards the front of the car and dropping on the ground closer to the front where one might expect to see a coolant leak.

I remember thinking that it was odd that it "changed direction" from where it normally dripped. I actually forgot about it after that until the other day I was racking my brain and tied it all together. It was some time after this my car started smelling of mildew.

I also have to ask the dealer why my coolant sounds like it is boiling violently after I have run the car for any length of time especially on a hot day......ever since they did a coolant flush. I see white spots under the hood like coolant is spraying out but the hoses look good. It goes bloob-bloob-bloob-bloob-bloob and the whole reservoir shakes........ but the temp reads fine. Again, only since they did a complete coolant flush...it was fine before that. Maybe the guy grabbed a bad cap off his bench....one he replaced previously perhaps?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM
tm985
Professional

This thread is a harsh reminder of how much money I'm going to have to pay to get my AC fixed come may/june

I need to have my expansion valve replaced since the shop I went to to get my AC compressor replaced told me that "they don't do that there" Even though pretty much every person who has knowledge of AC units in vehicles says it's absurd to replace an AC compressor without replacing the valves along with it.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think my compressor even activates when i turn on my AC. Right now I really dont need air, but it is definitely something thats nice to have here in omaha where the temps vary so much with the seasons. Where should I start?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Check the relays under the hood and connection to the compressor is plugged in.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM
DurangoCT

hey fellas, i have a 2000 durango sport.. it has the 4.7L, today i was driving along and kept hearing a humming/metal grinding/major rubbing noise come and go from the dash, i thought it was my power steering pump (that im also having issues with) but when i got to my house i smelled a "burning brake" kinda smell... and i was kinda driving fast, but then later on in the day, i was driving normal and i kept getting a wif of that same smell when i was stopped at the stop light with heat on low.. (live in new england) so the noise kept coming and going, so i finally got out and popped the hood with the truck running at a stop light, and noticed my AC compressor was making the noise, and it was slightly smoking, dont know why, but it dosnt make any noise when im driving over 2k RPM's.. but when im idle, the noise is really bad.. i just bought the truck last month at a local dealer, but im over my warranty, and very tight on cash right now.. so i was wondering if anyone on here has had a similar problem... i have never turned on the AC since i bought it November 12th, but i only got a 30 day/ 3000 mile warranty on it (which im over) so i was wondering if anyone can tell me how to fix this, or maybe let me know if i can bypass the compressor by getting a smaller serpentine belt.. let me know if anything is plausible please and thankyou.. (off topic) check engine light is now on too, its saying my " P0551 Power Steering, pressure sensor/switch circuit, range/performance" thats the code(s) it gave me, dont know if its one long code, or a bunch of different stuff.. this is my first real SUV so i dont know crap about them.. is it bad to leave it like that?

Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 AM
DurangoCT

ok, so i found out why my AC was making noise.. when i bought the truck, the horn didnt work, and i took it back to the dealer for them to fix it.. they "fixed" it, by unplugging the AC compressor so the fuse wouldnt blow.. so the hole time i had the truck its been unplugged and screwing up the compressor.. so last night the AC locked up and fried the serpentine belt..

Quick Reply: Common A/C issues: problems and solutions