1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

More mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010 | 10:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No you should not!

If you place the breather into the air hat it helps to cause a vacuum however, if allowed it will serve as a fresh air intake to the crank case without a negative pressure so with that said you need to have them both hooked up.

Here is a member that had a "PVC enhancer" DRO318 and this is what we are talking about filtering the vapor from the PCV before intake https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...vc-filter.html

Old 07-15-2010 | 01:17 AM
smokersteve
|
Professional

I forgot to think that with the PCV on but the valve cover vents off that the PCV is now sucking air from the open valve cover vents.

Can I have the valve cover vents off and plug them while keeping the pcv on?

By the way the intake tube holes are caped so there is no unfiltered air

Old 07-16-2010 | 09:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

There should be a tube about 1/2 in ID that plugs onto the back of your air hat or simalar that the valve cover can inlet. This way it's filtered air and it is not prone to TOO much blow by that the PCV can't handle and still keep vacuum.

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:11 AM
smokersteve
|
Professional

Well I did try this, I had the pcv connected and had the calve cover vents plugged. The valve cover vents are 2 tubes that connect to one tube, I plugged that one tube. When I did this it created a large vacuum in the crank case. After it was running I puled the plug and there was a huge whoosh of air. I am not sure that is safe for the engine.?

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:35 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Rookie

the only time the pcv system operates is at idle conditions, once you are on the throttle there is no engine vaccum to create the low pressure in the intake to lure the vapors out of the crankcase. In the off-idle conditions the positive crankcase pressure is vented through the fresh air vents in the vc's. PCV systems are a big plus, even in the 60's cars we still use them. IF you are getting raw oil into the intake then you have issues with your engine and IF you want the easy way out then get a good valve cover that has baffles in it

Old 07-17-2010 | 11:50 PM
smokersteve
|
Professional

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
the only time the pcv system operates is at idle conditions, once you are on the throttle there is no engine vaccum to create the low pressure in the intake to lure the vapors out of the crankcase. In the off-idle conditions the positive crankcase pressure is vented through the fresh air vents in the vc's.

Interesting, Thanks.

Old 07-18-2010 | 01:24 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
the only time the pcv system operates is at idle conditions, once you are on the throttle there is no engine vaccum to create the low pressure in the intake to lure the vapors out of the crankcase. In the off-idle conditions the positive crankcase pressure is vented through the fresh air vents in the vc's. PCV systems are a big plus, even in the 60's cars we still use them. IF you are getting raw oil into the intake then you have issues with your engine and IF you want the easy way out then get a good valve cover that has baffles in it
No there is no vacuum on WOT (wide open throttle). There is vacuum all the rest of the time. With the TB fully open causes the issue as to why the vacuum reservoir is in the loop of the system.

Listen, go to a junk yard and see how OEM has routed the tubing and do it right. If you have that much vacuum then you have set it up wrong.

Old 07-18-2010 | 12:15 PM
smokersteve
|
Professional

I have the hoses back on. I do understand blow by but I did not understand our system.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2010 | 10:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No problem, glad to have helped you!

Quick Reply: More mods