1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case linkage issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
hhwear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case linkage issue

Hello,

I have the standard issue where the grommets have worn out on the linkage of my 2000 Durango. It is currently stuck in 4WL and I would like to know if I can go under the vehicle and force it into 2wd so I dont have to have it towed to a dealer. The linkage was completely hanging.

Thanks in advance

Howard

Old 07-25-2010, 12:11 PM
stuckagain

It shouldn't be a problem. Its easier to get it out of 4lo if you put the linkage back in the lever and have someone else move the range selector to get it started.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
hhwear

Originally Posted by stuckagain
It shouldn't be a problem. Its easier to get it out of 4lo if you put the linkage back in the lever and have someone else move the range selector to get it started.
That did the trick.... thank you ever so much

Howard

Old 07-25-2010, 03:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The grommets are a bitch to find so you might have to make some out of bulk (or cheap polyurethane sway bushings) and replace them. You can find em at a bone yard too.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
stuckagain

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The grommets are a bitch to find so you might have to make some out of bulk (or cheap polyurethane sway bushings) and replace them. You can find em at a bone yard too.
Yea, I ended up using these. They aren't pretty but they worked for awhile anyway. Can't remember all the dimensions, but I know they are 3/8 ID with a 5/16 e-ring. Only thing I could get my hands on at the time, so I bought them the store out.

Name:  DSC_0036.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  11.1 KB

Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

If you can get me a picture of the linkage installed and also pictures of measurements of the grommets in all, maybe I can find a aftermarket so we can tell this to others. What I need is measurements and width of everything. Also where did you find that one?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
stuckagain

I got that from the local Ace hardware. I'll post pics and full dimensions after I get back to the store to get the dimensions off the box of assorted grommets as I'm not going to be able to measure it accurately. Also, it wouldn't hurt if the ID were slightly smaller. The rest fits dang near perfect. As is the rod doesn't move, but its not real snug either.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Great anything would be great!

Anything ya got including anything else would be great.

Thanks,
~Rustin~

Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
stuckagain

Ok, the entire dimensions are 15/16" od, 5/32" groove, 3/8" ID, and 1/2"wide, with all widths - groove and edges - being equal. Here is a pic as installed, you can't really see it, but with everything installed I couldn't get a better angle. Its coming out in a day or two, though. Basically, I beveled one side and have that side facing the arm, with the thicker part being on the outside against the e-clip to make certain it will stay in place. I was told by my dealer my best bet was to fabricate something for this part, so if anyone has any better ideas or knows where they have some OEM parts I'd like to hear them.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Which T-case do you have, look at the round tag on the rear side of the transfer case, and is that grommet on the bolt head side as it appears?

Quick Reply: Transfer Case linkage issue