1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

something went wrong with my AIR!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something went wrong with my AIR!!

Hey guys, so i was driving at night and it got a little cold, so i turned on the heater and switched the air flow to go to my feet and my face, all was well and then i heard what sounded like someone hitting the dashboard with the palm of their hand like 3 times and what kind of sounded like plastic or something hitting now when ever i turn on the air the dash shakes more then it used to and the air flow controls dont work very good. the defroster setting works but only about 50% some options dont work at all and the fan goes maximum strength like it always used to because i can hear it but the air coming out is weak it seems like th little doors inside are stuck or something and air is coming out some other way. pretty much my air controls are being retarded. and when i switch to rear control the rear barely blows as well. what do you guys think this is? and o could i fix it? the Ac and heater produce nice hot and cold settings so thats fine just the air flow settings and something else are all jacked up any thoughts would be appreciated! thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno.

I am a little awestruck about needing heat in Cali in August. We are on 100+ degree heat indexes here.

IndyD

Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it sounds to me like one or more of the blend/directional doors came loose

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the blend door.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

hmm damnit. okay thanks. ill take a looksie. is there a perfered way of taking the dash off? or could i go through under the passenger side?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no taking the dash off is a bitch and a half (ok maybe 2 bitches) so i wish you good luck, and take lots of pics so you can put it back together easier, and so that you can share with us

you might be able to take the actuators out and poke around through those openings tho, worth a try at least

Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

On the driver's side, get down on the floor and look directly to your right. You will see an actuator motor with gears attached to it. Most likely, your actuator motor screws backed out or the motor stripped causing the doors to not work. Turn the key to the on position and while you are on the floor looking at the actuator assembly, see if the gears are rotating while you move the defrost-A/C **** back and forth. If you do not see movement, it is the actuator motor or the gears are out of synch.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

thanks autopete! ill take a look tomorrow morning!!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran

ok so i looked and the acuator/motor seems to be working fin.i think it is one of the blend doors stuck open or something broke off. do you guys have any idea how i can get to those doors? thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Originally Posted by mrwilliwizard
ok so i looked and the acuator/motor seems to be working fin.i think it is one of the blend doors stuck open or something broke off. do you guys have any idea how i can get to those doors? thanks
You would have to literally tear apart the whole dash to get access to the duct work. Real time consuming job and you would have to be mechanically inclined (not the least bit but a lot) to do this type of work.

Quick Reply: something went wrong with my AIR!!