1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

stock cat vs high flow vs test pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM
ajoshi91
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock cat vs high flow vs test pipe

2002 dodge durango 4.7l super 44 flowmaster and rest stock exhaust. looking for small performance mods/sound mods. planning on some shorty headers.

question now is, do i keep my stock cat, switch to a high flow cat, or put in a test pipe and do the spark plug non fouler trick on the o2 sensor and run it like that?

what do you guys think? i'm told by exhaust shops high flow cat aint worth it. i'm also told by dodge owners with high flows that exhaust shops dont like messin with cat converters?

what do you guys think?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

dont waste your time with headers unless you are planning a build in the area of 500hp, they wont gain you anything.

again, unless you are planning a real high hp build the stock cat flows plenty good enough for these trucks, and you dont want to put an o2 simulator in there (or the fouler trick) as it could cause more problems later on.

so IMO leave well enough alone, and that is the general consensus on the subject of cats/exhaust

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Your Durango already has a high flow cat from the factory. You can only flow so much air into the 4.7 and so much exhaust out. Not much to gain in the flow department unless you have a Big Block under the hood or tons of head work to assist the flow.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

listen to the guys above me, they know what their talkin about. Just get an cat back of your liking and thats all your need in the exhuast compartment.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM
ajoshi91
Captain

alright guys as far as cat backs i don't think i'd need a full new exhaust. myu pipes arent to bad condition wise also its a stock mandrel bent 2.25 pipe.

as far as mufflers for tone i've had a glasspack, super 44 and a muffler delete exhaust.

any particular mufflers thst really mean and agressive/loud on the 4.7l? i got a super 44 on there now and it sounds great but its not the tone i'm lookin for.

how much different are the super 44's and the original 40's? i have a super 44 on there now.

basically, any good loud beast mufflers you would recommend?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

ajoshi91, you have posted toooooooo many times asking the same ol questions about loud *** exhaust and you keep getting the same reponses. Give it up dude!! There is NOT going to be an exhaust made to make you happy with the sound it makes. Just run OPEN headers, maybe then you will STOP asking the same questions by wording it different. This Forum is not about loud exhaust because most people here who own Durango's are either family types or out of the Teenage years of loud is better!! So please stop asking about louder exhaust here, you exhaust me to no extent dude with the same questions over and over again.

Last edited by 45AutoPete; 08-10-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
duramgo03
Professional

ajoshi91 I got a thrush glasspack and it sounds mean. A nice grumble at idle and loud when I want it to be. Noticable hp increase, too. My cousin, who was behind me in a Chevy, said it sounded like a big block monster truck, when we drove through the tunnel in Boston. I dropped it down to 2 and had it up to 5200 rpm, and it was screaming, then gave lots of backtalk when I let off the gas pedal and rpms came back down. The rest of my exhaust is all stock 2 1/2" piping.

45AutoPete Did Dodge put the high flow cats in all of their trucks and suvs? Because I noticed most all Dodges even with factory muffler have a low but noticable grumble to them.

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duramgo, I do believe Dodge decided to go with better cats to alleviate the problem of not enough power from the Ds. I did notice a nice almost smooth rumble when I had to replace my rusted out flowmaster this past weekend. I decided to go back to OEM cause I didn't need to have a beast scaring little old ladies anymore! LOL! But yeah, there's a slight smooth rumble with the OEM there...

Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM
ajoshi91
Captain

DURAMGO03,
how long is your thrush glasspack? i got one in my name right now. mine is 25 inch overall and a 20 inch body. I drove it for about 1,000 miles roughly. I might throw it back on and sell my super 44. I'm not sure. Do you have the 4.7l or the 5.9l? big difference there man. it was nice and loud and it did have decent drone to it. yeah probably next friday i'll throw it back on. i have a stainless steel bullet exhaust tip to its 3.5x18 inches so decent.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM
ajoshi91
Captain

45Autopete,
sorry man i know i keep asking this question and i know what you mean about there being no muffler that will satisfy me. that's why i was asking about high flow cats. also mentioning shorty headers.

I haven't heard good things about the 5.9l 's. i hear there are a lot of leaks from the engine.
plz don't tell me i need to find a Chevy 350 to get the sound i want!
Being 18 i cant exactly go by a "new" car/truck. or else the hemi would be what I'd be after.

Quick Reply: stock cat vs high flow vs test pipe