1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango Humming Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM
k9roo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango Humming Sound

I have a 2000 Durango that has started making a humming/roaring kind of sound. You can hear it when you get up to about 25mph and it increases as you accelerate and decreases when you decelerate. I've noticed when I go around a left curve it stops however if I go around a right curve it still does it. This makes me think the issue is on the left side side since when I make a left curve it takes some of the weight off that side. There is some wear on the inside of the left tire but I had the front end aligned 18 months ago and they also replaced the tie rods.

We replaced the wheel bearing but it did not fix it. Do you think it could the rack and pinion?

Anyone experienced the same problems or have any ideas what it could be? A coworker said it may be the rear axle bearing but the noise seems to be coming from the front.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Which bearing did you replace? And do you still have the bearing you took off? Do you hear the sound coming from the front or rear, or maybe the center of the truck? I konw these are a lot of questions.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Move the old bearing to the other side and try that.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thats what i was going to ask the member to do,if they still had the old bearing. Great minds think alike.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Hell ya brother!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 PM
k9roo
Amateur

The sound seems to be coming from right under or just in front of your feet when driving. We replaced the left wheel bearing. We did that one since the sound stops when going around a left curve. We thought since the weight is shifted off of the left side when making a left curve then it had to be something going on in the left side.

I have the old bearing but why do you suggest moving it to the other side? Are you thinking it could be the one on the right side that is the problem?

We also noticed the left inside of the tire is wearing. I'm convinced that the issue has to be some type of moving part since the sounds moves with the wheel rotation. Some coworkers have been telling me that it could be the rack and pinion or the rear axle bearing and one even said it could be the torque convertor. This is so frustrating!

I just wish there was an easier way to figure it out without having to take it to the shop.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thats correct about the bearing.If the tire is wearing,its because of a alignment problem.Could be ball joints or bushings or the alignment is out of specs. But you need to fix the noise in the front,them worry about the others sounds you are hearing.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by k9roo
I have the old bearing but why do you suggest moving it to the other side? Are you thinking it could be the one on the right side that is the problem?

It could be the right side. Take the old bearing you still have and replace the right side with it. If it wasn't bad then that is a great way (and not costly) to find out if the right side is on it's way out. If the sound stops then there is your problem and you can choose to leave the old bearing in or replace it and have both wheel bearings new.

Sound has a way of transferring through the truck and it can make one thing sound like another. You want to get an alignment as well so let me suggest Firestone and their Lifetime Alignment special. For like $180 or less (if you watch their specials) you can pick this up and have your truck aligned anytime you want! Besides, a one time alignment is $80 bucks anyway so just taking it in twice you have made that back. Also anytime you work on the front end you should have it aligned anyway.

I ALWAYS buy this special and use it all the time.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM
k9roo
Amateur

Thanks guys! We took the one we took off the left and put it on the right side and it fixed it. No more noise. We are going out of town in about a month so I do plan on replacing it with a new one. I really appreciate all your help.

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango Humming Sound