1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

WTH? noisy 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
reedrk88t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTH? noisy 4.7

Ok,
I am SGT Price, US Army, 2-11th ARS, love my Durango, 03, 4.7 SLT! After much heartache and searching, I cannot figure out what the noise is when it starts up. It sounds as if there is no oil in the top of the motor but yet I am using An oil filter with the stop plunger to keep oil up top. It sounds like a rattling timing chain yet every thing I have read on this points to an unknown issue but the issue causes no motor damage. The truck only has 94000 on it, the timing chain is supposed to be life of motor.
I was told and have read things like; the valve sleeves are clogeed or there is a serious carbon build up that is very common that causes this rattling sound on cold starts. Sludge issues, just so many things that I have no idea as to where I should start. Is an engine flush by a shop the first place to start? WTH is that fricken noise? the truck sounds normal after 45 to a minute from start up, it goes away and stays away unless it sits for more than a few hours. I run full synthetic in it to eliminate sludge issues, so is this noise a major issue to come? please tell me its not!
I will sell it faster than a bus full of retarded children with a sugar fix.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The problem could be the lifters bleeding down after sitting for a while.Or an exhaust leak. I would hook up a pressure gauge and ck the oil pressure.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are referring to the start up tick on the 4.7 it seems to be normal with this engine, mine has 95000 on it and does it, has done it since new (my parents drove the truck off the lot brand new), as long as it goes away in the first minute or two after the truck starts up its not a problem.

btw when my parents first got the truck and were at the dealer trying to figure it out they went around and started every 4.7 on the lot, all but one of them made the noise (brand new trucks sitting on the dealer lot)

do NOT do an engine flush it will cause anything that has built up to clog not only the oil filter, but also the oil pump pick up.

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 09-06-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:01 PM
reedrk88t
Default still confused

Ok so if its a bleed down then how do i fix it? expensive? If a motor flush wont get rid of the sludge or carbon then what can i do to fix this issue? That is very annoying and it always makes me wanna dump this thing asap! What does this knock entail?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM
reedrk88t
Default next issues

Ok now there is also an oil pressure guage issue, wont work when first started, restart the truck and it works.
When I shift into gear there is a tiny buzzing sound, if i wait for it to stop(mere seonds then it will go into gear) sometimes i dont here it. If i dont wait then it acts as if its hesitating to go into gear.
So, I shift into reverse, buzz,then it stops and i can go, If I shift and I dont wait for the buzz to stop then it acts as if it is not in gear. is this that electronic silinoid shift assist attached to the trans?

Ahhh the things i have to deal with from other prior owners, A..holes!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

I Would listen to what shrpshtr had said. I only said you could have the lifters bleeding down,Thats doesn't mean that is the problem you are having. And the buzzing sound is normal..........Thanks E2 US Army 649th MP 1972 to 1974.

Last edited by master tech; 09-06-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

its not that the engine flush WONT dislodge any buildups (sludge is a bad word around these parts since 90+% of the time when someone screams sludge it is a misdiagnosis), its that it would dislodge it in big chunks which would clog up the system and cause more problems, if you use a good oil with good detergents (sounds like you are using full synthetic so you are all set) it will clean the system out over time w/o clogging the channels with any big chunks.

the buzzing and delay is normal, the transmission fluid pump doesnt run when the trans is in park, so the system needs a couple seconds to build up pressure before the trans will engage all the way.

and i agree put a mechanical pressure gauge on to see if you have pressure even when the inside gauge claims you dont, if you still have pressure i would replace the oil pressure sending unit.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Sharps

Old 09-07-2010, 12:35 AM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

seafoam could help maybe?

Quick Reply: WTH? noisy 4.7