1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Removing Broken Bolts! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Broken Bolts! Help!

Who knew that changing my thermostat would be so complicated?! So, I remove the main hose and start working on the bolts that hold the piece that the hose connects to and covers the thermostat. Not one, but both bolts snap off as I tried to remove them. So I have two bolts stuck in the motor.

Any idea how to get these out? There is no part of the bolt sticking up - the snapped off pretty flat with the surface.

I read something about left handed drill bits. Any suggestions?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

In the past when I am starting to go through and rebuild heads I would always at least snap one or more of the head bolts. I easily got them out by using PB Blaster (don't be bashful with it), followed with a left-hand drill bit running in reverse to start a hole about an inch deep, then using an extractor with a small wrench or socket/ratchet. My first time ever I thought I screwed an engine block all to hell... then after about 20 or so broken bolts I never sweat now. Just make sure use the right left-handrill bit for the extractor you need. Just my thought.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

the way to get them out is with a screw extractor.
you have to drill a whole into the center of the broken bolt (not too deep) then you must work one of these bad boys to the left.. its best to use an impact or a hammer to keep punching it deeper and deeper in and to the left until you can get it out.. be sure to cover the T-stat hole and noting drops down there.. I suggest having a machinist do this or someone whole has done this many times before.. It would be a good idea to pull the whole intake manifold and do this on a bench vs on the D.. and if you pull the intake manifold replace the plenum gasket.. good luck man

Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 PM
mickinirvine

Originally Posted by rhillman75
followed with a left-hand drill bit running in reverse to start a hole about an inch deep, then using an extractor with a small wrench or socket/ratchet.
Gonna try this... how tough is it to drill into that bolt? That's the part that worries me

Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Price out a salvage yard intake maifold. That may be the less painful and faster way to go.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
STX Hemi

Originally Posted by mickinirvine
Gonna try this... how tough is it to drill into that bolt? That's the part that worries me

Okay now be careful not to break the screw extractor in the bolt. Doing so may cause more problems and then you will need to go to the salvage yard to find a replacement intake. The bolts are not that hard to drill into just make sure you get the hole in the center as close as possible , you may want to step drill till you get close to the bolt width. Doing so will make it easier to remove the rest of the bolt.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

The best method I have found although it will require you to be "GOOD" with sizes is... when I go to drill a head bolt, I try to grind it down as flat as I possibly can (dremel tool or a 1 inch grinding pad). The next thing I do is get a small pipe to fit the outside diameter of the bolt that I am going to drill into, then just to make ABSOLUTELY sure that I hit "dead center" of the bolt I am drilling into, I try to get another pipe to fit "inside" the first pipe before I center drill. I know it sounds like alot of work... but i have done this a million times in rebuilding. It may require you to a little extra math or hopeful guessing... but if done right and the use of PB Blaster... it WILL work. Iknow some may some I'm nuts but I even use a PROPANE torch just to mid-temp heat the bolt up a tad before I pull it. propane torches will run cooler than typical torches. I have used the same scenario with brake bleed screws that are broke off and just about anywhere that I want a broken bolt out with MINIMAL if not ZERO damage.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

you should see downfalls like this an opportunity. Do I hear a new intake manifold anyone?? http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=24773 putting that on my D was my biggest power gain. I lost some fuel economy but power in the higher rpms took off.. turned towing my boat into an almost un-noticeable action and I could pass with the boat on highways.. that's my 4 Cents.. if your into jacking up your D
(if you do wanna upgrade your intake do a search for it, alot of different thoughts then just mine)

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That Hughes is an abomination of a carb air gap mixed with a bolt on TB adapter.

Just buy a Mopar M1 if you need a new manifold. Cheaper AND better.

Quick Reply: Removing Broken Bolts! Help!