1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another 4x4 problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear everything is good! Nice to know theres still people on here that appreciate the help and not just contradict everything.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to here your mission is finally over! Thanks for the update!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM
TheOldStyle

I know this and oldddd thread but I hope I get so lucky. I just got an '01 SLT 5.9 and and having pretty much the same TCASE problem... Wont shift into 4HI or 4LO... no LED lights on the dash switch... no tcase noise... nothing... ohh... and I had a 'Service 4WD' light on until I reset the computer...now its off but who knows for how long.

Last edited by TheOldStyle; 09-04-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:12 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In my experience (meaning I had exactly the same problem), it's the CTM going/gone bad. It may seem unrelated and only 4x4 related, but it was not in my case.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
TheOldStyle

That's at the left kick panel, right? Was your symptoms the same as mine? I haven't tried much of anything yet other than wiggling a few wires and resetting the computer... do I have to match my numbers with the "new" one I get from ebay or wherever? I really hope to get this thing fixed before Winter in southern Ohio.

Last edited by TheOldStyle; 09-04-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

Yes, get the same PN CTM. I was unlucky once, got an eBay one for $90, which fixed the problem, but the VTSS wouldn't activate. After a year, I got another one from the local junk yard for $17, which has been perfect for near 2 years now. You can test it as is, but if it works, you'll have to get it programmed by a dealer to get your key fobs to work. [I know what you're thinking, no, it's the keys you can program yourself to the vehicle, not the key fobs.]

Old 09-05-2018, 09:09 AM
TheOldStyle

... so I have to get some numbers off the old one first... gotcha. The thinking that it might be the CTM seems weird to me because I dont have any other problems... unlike from what I have read like horn blowing, headlights not working or blinking etc... my problem is just my 4X4 wont engage... although sometimes the ABS and brake lights in the dash will come on sometimes for some reason but haven't came back on after I reset the computer...yet... I need to get under there and unplug the tcase motor and check for corrosion... wouldn't it be awesome if THAT was the problem? ...lol ... I doubt it... I have NO lights on the 4X4 dash switch...ever.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:43 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

The only other symptoms I had were the security light on, and sometimes I got a series of bings, like the driver seatbelt wasn't in use. The 4x4 part for me was exactly what you have though, no 4x4 selection ability, no 4x4 switch lights, and the 'Service 4x4' light on solid. I think basically most all the vehicle functions other than HVAC and PCM go through the CTM, so I think what symptom(s) you get just depend upon what CTM circuit decides to go bonkers.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM
TheOldStyle

I was told by the previous owner... they tried to "hotwire" the tcase motor and got it to go in 4LO but of course no driveability there so he got it back in 2WD and that was it so I THINK the tcase motor is good... so Im thinking I have 2 computer boxes to possibly change and a dash switch... mannnn I hope the fix is the first one I try... Thanks for the info btw... I hate these kinds of problems...lol

Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Yes, get the same PN CTM. I was unlucky once, got an eBay one for $90, which fixed the problem, but the VTSS wouldn't activate. After a year, I got another one from the local junk yard for $17, which has been perfect for near 2 years now. You can test it as is, but if it works, you'll have to get it programmed by a dealer to get your key fobs to work. [I know what you're thinking, no, it's the keys you can program yourself to the vehicle, not the key fobs.]

you need the dealer to program the first fob to the truck,(and may as well take all of them with you for that so that its done) but on the 01-03s you can program additional fobs yourself, the procedure is in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Another 4x4 problem thread