1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM
dubcity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 Durango Problem

Hey guys I have a 98 durango 5.9 and i have a problem ,

Everyday when i drive my truck , Whether i just got in it , or have been driving it for awhile , hot or cold , this happens at random whenever the truck is slowed to a stop and idling. The problem is for example i reach a stop sign , as im stopped the truck has a rough idle , I can Smell a Horrible smell thats coming from the exhaust ( Im assuming from the headers cause i smell it up front ) the truck is ready to stall so i take off from the stop , the truck has NO power, pedal is 2/3 the way down , the engine starts knocking , it backfires and i will ONLY be able to start driving again when i slam the pedal to the floor , then there is a 2 second delay then bam i rip away from the stop ( making me look like a douchbag everytime ) . Even when i get on the highway from a traffic light i press the pedal as usual but i lose power as if something is holding my truck back and am only able to drive after pressing the pedal through the floor.

Anyways i bought a scan tool thinking it was my O2 Sensors , and sure enough the o2 sensor codes popped up But i also have another code that popped up P0545 - now on this site it says a/c clutch relay , but others including my scanner program say
P0545-Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Low - Bank 1 Sensor 1

Arent EGT's for turbos ?

or is there a possible way that the 5.9's have a stock egt sensor , but i cant find it anywhere in the manual or online

would the 02 sensors be causing this problem ? Im thinking yes but would like second opinions , here are all the CEL codes That are present on the truck

MIL DTC
P0500-Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Fault

Stored Codes
P0132-O2 (B1 S1) Circuit Short to Voltage
P0135-O2 (B1 S1) Heater Circuit
P0138-O2 (B1 S2) Circuit Short to Voltage

Last edited by dubcity; 01-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
coreybv
Veteran

If this was a 98 Jimmy instead of a 98 Durango, I'd tell you with near 100% certainty that it was the mass airflow sensor. Had one go bad in my old Jimmy and it caused pretty much the exact symptoms you describe. Ran fine 99% of the time, but when it acted up I could have the pedal to the floor and max out at a top speed of about 20 mph, rough idle, backfires, etc...

I know it's a totally different vehicle so that's not real helpful, I just throw it out there as a confirmation that yes, sensors could definitely be causing your symptoms.

Not sure exactly what would cause the problem with this vehicle, but I'd say your on the right track with those sensors. If it were me I'd definitely swap out the sensors that are throwing codes, see how she runs, then go from there.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-06-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The most likely culprits in order:

1) Failing TPS
2) Bad Battery
3) Failing CPS

There is no mass air flow sensor on your Durango

HTH,

IndyD

Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango

HTH,

IndyD
Incorrect,

MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP)
SENSOR—3.9/5.2/5.9L ENGINES—PCM INPUT
The MAP sensor reacts to absolute pressure in the
intake manifold. It provides an input voltage to the
powertrain control module (PCM). As engine load
changes, manifold pressure varies. The change in
manifold pressure causes MAP sensor voltage to
change. The change in MAP sensor voltage results in
a different input voltage to the PCM. The input voltage
level supplies the PCM with information about
ambient barometric pressure during engine start-up
(cranking) and engine load while the engine is running.
The PCM uses this input along with inputs
from other sensors to adjust air-fuel mixture.
The MAP sensor is mounted on the side of the
engine throttle body (Fig. 7). The sensor is connected
to the throttle body with a rubber L-shaped fitting.

(It is actually mounted right up front on the TB when you open the hood facing the front clip.)

Anyway, I think your problem is a combined issue,

Do a tune up with cheap Champion Copper spark plugs gapped at .040

Replace the wires with dealership OEM wires or Mopar performance, or MSD 8.5mm Red.

Replace cap and rotor.

Clean the Throttle Body and IAC.

Clean the MAP.

Reset the PCM.

If the engine is running hot especially going up hill it could be a plugged CAT or a trans filter, fluid, and adjustment replacement.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-06-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Errr! Error Will Robinson .Error!

"There is no mass air flow sensor on ANY 1998 Durango"

There is a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor. As I stated (and Hydrashocker confirmed beit he may not know he did so), there is NO MASS AIF FLOW sensor on a Durango. Similar? Perhaps. Same? Absolutely not. A Mass air flow sensor typically is round, has a wire vertically in the center running top to bottom like a thread and senses air flow. Our MAP senses air PRESSURE, NOT flow.

Sorry HS.

In support here is a diagram of your throttle body (TB)

Name:  59L_TB_Dia.jpg
Views: 6137
Size:  74.6 KB

For reference, the IAC (Idle Air Control Motor) shown is in the back along the firewall. The TPS (throttle position sensor) is facing the drivers side fender, leaving the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) in the photo. There is a rubber cap on a nipple directly under the MAP. Make sure you still have the cap there or the entire TB is sucking air incorrectly.

I still say from my remote diagnostics that the most likely culprits are in order:

1) Failing TPS
2) Bad Battery
3) Failing CPS

IndyD

Name:  hahanocure.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  45.1 KB

Last edited by IndyDurango; 01-07-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Correct. Just for clarification, I relayed that story just to confirm that sensors could cause his symptoms, not to point him to a specific sensor to look at. I think I was pretty clear that I was talking about a different vehicle and that the info was not going to apply 100% to his truck.

I stand by my advice to replace the sensors that are throwing codes. One of them is very likely the problem, and if some aren't, they are most likely causing other problems now or will be soon. Some codes cause problems that you don't really notice, like a slight drop in gas mileage. Still worth 30 or 60 bucks to swap them out in the long run. As a general rule I like to have no codes at all.

As for the difference between a MAP sensor and a mass airflow sensor, you're both right. They're very different sensors, but my 20 years writing computer software tells me that the computer in the vehicle is probably using the info they provide in a very similar way. It sounds like the MAP sensor is monitoring the air pressure in the intake system. The mass airflow sensor that Chevrolet used had a small coil of wire, electrically heated, that would be cooled by air passing over it. The computer would monitor those temperature changes, and calculate the air volume.

I suspect that although they used two different methods, they're both using the info to calculate the exact same thing: the amount of air entering the engine.

In any case, with a computer controled motor, I know from experience that if the computer is getting bad info, it will make bad decisions, and sensors could easily cause his symptoms. It seems like basic, obvious, common sense to start with the sensors that are throwing codes.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

technically all correct, we do NOT have a mass airflow sensor, but a manifold air pressure sensor, the data gathered from both are used to calculate airflow (i could dig out my textbooks if anyone wants the equations i think the computer is using). Air pressure can be used to calculate air speed through the tb, which with the known cross sectional area give you volumetric flow rate, and w/ the known atmospheric pressure from the startup cycle the computer can calculate the density of air so it knows the volumetric and mass flow rate of air, while the heated coil will know how much it has cooled and this is proportional to the mass airflow past it.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM
dubcity

Thanks for your input guys ,

I have replaced the wires , plugs , cleaned TB and required sensors around 6000KM ago, the problem was present at the time and is still present after the maintenance . I am going to replace the o2 sensors god only knows if they have ever been changed , and see if that helps the problem, but i still have the problem of the Exhaust gas temperature sensor is there one on the 5.9 or no?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Smarty pants Indy!.......LOL.....Same thing!.......LOL

but i still have the problem of the Exhaust gas temperature sensor is there one on the 5.9 or no?
Yes, however it is the O2 sensor that would not be warming up in the allotted time.

P0545 A/C Clutch Relay Circ

I didn't see this at first, however you have the incorrect information for the code you through. a P0545 is the A/C clutch relay. Replace the relay in the PDC with one of the same numbers. If the issue doesn't solve it's self you might have a bearing going out in the A/C compressor causing the engine to bog down.

For further information regarding engine codes please refer to this index of correct codes located as a sticky on the top of the page: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html

Old 01-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Blade Michael
Default @1998 Durango.

Originally Posted by dubcity
Hey guys I have a 98 durango 5.9 and i have a problem ,

Everyday when i drive my truck , Whether i just got in it , or have been driving it for awhile , hot or cold , this happens at random whenever the truck is slowed to a stop and idling. The problem is for example i reach a stop sign , as im stopped the truck has a rough idle , I can Smell a Horrible smell thats coming from the exhaust ( Im assuming from the headers cause i smell it up front ) the truck is ready to stall so i take off from the stop , the truck has NO power, pedal is 2/3 the way down , the engine starts knocking , it backfires and i will ONLY be able to start driving again when i slam the pedal to the floor , then there is a 2 second delay then bam i rip away from the stop ( making me look like a douchbag everytime ) . Even when i get on the highway from a traffic light i press the pedal as usual but i lose power as if something is holding my truck back and am only able to drive after pressing the pedal through the floor.

Anyways i bought a scan tool thinking it was my O2 Sensors , and sure enough the o2 sensor codes popped up But i also have another code that popped up P0545 - now on this site it says a/c clutch relay , but others including my scanner program say

Arent EGT's for turbos ?

or is there a possible way that the 5.9's have a stock egt sensor , but i cant find it anywhere in the manual or online

would the 02 sensors be causing this problem ? Im thinking yes but would like second opinions , here are all the CEL codes That are present on the truck

MIL DTC
P0500-Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit Fault

Stored Codes
P0132-O2 (B1 S1) Circuit Short to Voltage
P0135-O2 (B1 S1) Heater Circuit
P0138-O2 (B1 S2) Circuit Short to Voltage
Check your ground and make sure you're getting the proper voltage from firewall as well as engine. If you have an aftermarket stereo system it is necessary to upgrade the ground wires to a minimum of 4 guage. This is my second Dodge to give me an electrical problem with aftermarket stereo( amps and speakers) the first a Dodge van added extra battery then suddenly van won't run. Hundreds of dollars later, I remove battery and van runs fine. Just recently my 98 Durango would shut off. Start randomly after sitting for a day or so and finally to start only if I stepped on the pedal to the floor while cranking. Sometimes, sometimes not. After doing a well needed time up. So one day just connected multimeter across battery. 11.? Volts. Connected negative to firewall ground. Much lower than 11 somewhere around 5 v. I didn't replace. I added an additional 4 guage from battery to firewall. Hope this helps any and all Dodge owners who have trouble with their car or truck not starting. Even the no bus because that showed up on me too during that period. Truck is running quite well now. Thanks for reading. Hope this helps at least one person

Quick Reply: Help needed!!!