1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

More Mileage Chat

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM
boneyabba
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Mileage Chat

I've read a bunch of threads about mileage and, maybe this is my poor search skills but, I am not finding anything with survey flavored data. Could I get some replies here with the mileage you all are getting and maybe some rough data on what the rig is to put it in perspective?

So like:

1999 5.2 w/ modified exhaust 11.5city 14.5freeway

I am sure that I could put out effort right away to get better mileage (or worse!), but if I am right about where similar rides are I will probably deprioritize it.

Thanks guys

Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
coreybv
Veteran

I personally got a nice little mpg bump from upping the psi in the tires a bit. Not all the way to max pressure for the tires, since handling starts to suffer, but I'm a bit above what Chrysler recommends on the door frame sticker....

98 5.9 stock, unsure of city, hit 16 to 17 on highway on a good day, on normal days it hangs just slightly above a 15mpg average for a whole tank. That's for gentle highway driving. I don't even want to see what the numbers are when I go playing in the snow or mud.

Biggest thing, though, is driving style. A gentle foot on the throttle will probably make more difference than any mod you could do (Easier said than done, I know. lol). Also, keep up on your routine maintenance.

Aside from that, I'd say you're already on the right track with the more open exhaust. Next step I'd think about would be either the DIY or K&N cold air intake. Any mod that's too expensive and you'll take many years to make up the money in fuel savings.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-10-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

2002 4.7 4x4 stock (yea yea shut up, all my $$$ is going to an institute of higher education atm)
16-17 around town (not strictly city, but as close as i get) and up to 20 on the highway (yes i have a record book in case anyone doesnt believe me)

i also agree driving style/habits and routine maintenance are the best for your fuel economy

Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Hm you say you're getting 11.5 in the city and 14.5 on the highway... IIRC the window sticker on the 5.2 said it will get 12 city and 17 highway so you're in the margin for the city but I'm stumped on the highway aspect of it.

I have an idea, our engine performs best of both world at around 2300 RPM (best fuel economy for speed going) so I would say to stay away from strain past 2500 RPM (or 75 mph). I would also start by cleaning he TB as this may hel out a hair but for the most part if you're getting that bad I'd lay off the throttle.

Do a test for us, clean out the throttle body, fill up your tank and reset the trip, then drive like a grandma and let us know what the fuel economy is. I would guess it will be a large improvement from what it is now.

I've seen good fuel economy and I've seen bad out of these trucks. As far as bad goes it usually leads back t the person behind the wheel. Let us know what you are getting when you drive like a grandma then we can help a little more. Bolt on upgrades are just going to decrease your fuel economy more if you drive like a maniac (not satin you are).

Here is a link for cleaning out your throttle body:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ttle-body.html

WhiteWidow00

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

02 5.9L AWD

12 city, 14 highway
These numbers are actually down a little from 2 years ago. I don't put my foot in it like I used to either. I assume it's due to the fact that I have a slight plenum leak... Waiting for spring on that one though.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Also take into consideration yours is AWD. AWD gets worse gas mileage than part time 4WD.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
a57chevy43
Rookie

I was actually thinking of posting a thread about mine. I have a 03 4x4 with 4.7. The last two tanks of gas have averaged 12.5 mpg. I think that sucks. The body has 84,000 and the motor should have 74,000. I have had a code pop up lately. A small evap leak. I need to fix it and hope my mileage improves. Plus I'm running my tires at 50 psi so there shouldnt be much drag there.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 PM
L7D4N

Hey guys, I saw this forum and decided to sign up to see if there is anything I could do for my MPG for my Durango. I purchased mine about a year ago, and ever since I saw the R/T I told myself I would buy one.

I have a 2001 SLT+ with the 5.9L. I recently did a complete top-end rebuild (brand new heads, valves, valve springs, etc...), K&N CIA, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, brand new highway tires, brand new radiator and hoses, and a transmission flush with all new seals.

Even after all the repairs I've needed to make and what I deem preventative maintenance, im still only getting about 10MPG City, 13.5~14.5 HWY. I drive like a grandma on the highway to work (60 miles, all highway), and I am completely stumped. I would be completely satisfied with 17mpg, but this doesn't seem to be possible.

I have been doing a bit of research on the Throttle body spacers (specifically the Helix style ones) but it seems moot and sketchy to me.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

throttle body spacers are useless on these engines, the 5.9 gets at best (in most cases) 15 on the highway, if you want the 17 or better you need to get a truck w/ the 4.7, you can switch to synthetic engine oil and some people claim that helps, make sure the tb is clean, and the plugs are good and wires/cap/rotor are replaced regularly (copper core champion plugs only in that engine)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Throttle body spacers would be a complete waste of your money. They do nothing on a throttle body, period.

As for the 17 mpg highway, I was referring to the 4.7 motor. The 5.9 for the most part is hard to get out of the 15 mpg mark.

Quick Reply: More Mileage Chat