1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

bad wire, bad contact in the cap, bag plug, incorrectly gapped plug, any of them could be it, how old are the wires (how many miles)

Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So you have a 1999? What motor?

Guessing a 5.2L I would replace all the spark plugs with Champion Coppers gapped at .040, replace wires (go to the dealer or you can also get Mopar Performance there as well), get a new cap and rotor (preferably brass contacts) at you local parts store.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
tattman37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead on

Man , you guys are good! changed my dist. cap, rotor, plugs(platinum) and wires and wouldn't you know the plat plugs just wont work. was getting a little fire at plug until i changed em out. I'm gonna take them (p.o.s.) plats back,and get copper and gap it properly. thanks to all for the tips!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Just as we all thought. You wouldn't believe what kind of hell platinum plugs reak on these engines. The heat range just is not even close.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by tattman37
Man , you guys are good! changed my dist. cap, rotor, plugs(platinum) and wires and wouldn't you know the plat plugs just wont work. was getting a little fire at plug until i changed em out. I'm gonna take them (p.o.s.) plats back,and get copper and gap it properly. thanks to all for the tips!

Another issue with POS plugs just bit the dust!

Clean your Throttle Body, reset your PCM and you will fall in love all over again!!!! Regardless at least reset your PCM.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ttle-body.html

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
That might work for you but your truck is not stock in any means. I would like to hear how they run in 15k.....LOL.....Besides, was the $10 a plug worth the results you are getting?
I do like these pulstars and yu do notice a diffence berween the two from first turn of key , i do think that the results for me were well worth it ..,,$ 10 a plug , um i`m in Canada so lil more than that ,, and yes i should stop and think before i answer that " The Mistress " is no where close to stock,,, i`ll try to answer any questions with that in mind ,,

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
tattman37
Default ignition problems...still, need advice!

Ive posted about my 1998 dodge durango not firing. gotten good feedback and help from many. Unfortunately Im still having problems.I have changed plugs twice(from platinum, which I don't recommend! to copper, with 0.040 gap. also changed rotor, dist cap, and wires, and still no fire. I checked my coil with screwdriver inserted into plug and close to ground and had someone turn truck over.It seems to be throwing strong spark, but not getting fire at plugs. could this be my elec. ignition? or pickup coil? fuse? something else. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1998 Dodge Durango
5.2 liter (318)

4wd

Old 01-21-2011, 09:07 PM
tattman37

thanks in advance to all.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by tattman37
Ive posted about my 1998 dodge durango not firing. gotten good feedback and help from many. Unfortunately Im still having problems.I have changed plugs twice(from platinum, which I don't recommend! to copper, with 0.040 gap. also changed rotor, dist cap, and wires, and still no fire. I checked my coil with screwdriver inserted into plug and close to ground and had someone turn truck over.It seems to be throwing strong spark, but not getting fire at plugs. could this be my elec. ignition? or pickup coil? fuse? something else. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1998 Dodge Durango
5.2 liter (318)

4wd
Listen,

You need to keep your postings and threads together. This is the 3rd post regarding the same matter (that I know of). You state that changing the plugs from a non-OEM plug to OEM in what the motor was built to run and state that it doesn't work? Mopar invested MILLIONS of $$$$$$ in making sure it will work, however you say Platinum works better......You simply have a lot to learn!

Your girl friend sabotaged your truck to keep you from leaving because you most likely were drunk or high and most likely saved your life or someone else! Most likely she removed more than just the coil wire and possibly moved the plug wires. I sounds like she doesn't want to tell you any more information because she is either not with you or she is scared of you.

Regardless, you have 3 things you need to look at.

1. Spark at the correct timing.
2. Air
3. Fuel

Make sure that you have spark at the correct timing, that you have fuel, and that you have air. If you can't figure it out then you need to take it to a shop and pay a professional.

Sorry, I don't want to call the kettle black, but it is what it is.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ont-start.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ont-start.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ng-strong.html

Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Your girl friend sabotaged your truck to keep you from leaving because you most likely were drunk or high and most likely saved your life or someone else! Most likely she removed more than just the coil wire and possibly moved the plug wires. I sounds like she doesn't want to tell you any more information because she is either not with you or she is scared of you.
+1 on that.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-22-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: wont start