Dead Durango

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011 | 10:06 PM
samnbensdad
|
Captain
Default Dead Durango

'02 SLT 5.9L
My D just died. I started it up, put it in drive, then it died (never made it out of the driveway). Now it will not start. It turns over but doesn't even spudder (reminds me of running out of gas). I pulled a spark plug and grounded it against the block; it was getting spark. The plug was also wet and smelled like gas. TB also smelled like gas. So, I'm getting spark and fuel. My questions...
Could bad gas cause this? I literally topped the tank off an hour earlier at a gas station I never use. My assumption is that it would at least spudder.
Battery? Mine is about 5 years old but has not shown any signs of weakness. It has been cranking just fine in this 20-30* weather.
Timing chain? Is there typically a specific indicator? I've only owned one vehicle that I had to replace the timing chain. When it went, the engine spun twice as fast when cranking. My Durango is not doing this.
Ignition coil? Is it possible that my spark is just too weak? My plugs, cap, rotor, and wires are relatively new (replaced within the last 3000 miles ) but I didn't replace the coil. Wouldn't a weak spark at least let the engine try to start and not just spin?
I am also considering TPS, IAC and MAP sensors. I just need to decide where to start.
Also, none of my fuses were bad.

Old 01-28-2011 | 10:22 PM
jmess
Veteran

it seems like most people on here with issues like this almost always end up tracing it right down to a bad battery. personally id start there and then if that doesnt work move on to the coil.

Old 01-28-2011 | 10:37 PM
samnbensdad
|
Captain

Yeah, I've noticed that too,but most of those people had engines that would at least attempt to start or just ran rough. I guess I'll pick up a new battery regardless since it is getting pretty old. Hopefully it will fix the problem. I'll follow up with a post. Unfortunately I had to abandon my diagnosis to leave town until Monday.

Old 01-29-2011 | 12:18 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

On the fuel rail on the drivers side is a test port. You can test the fuel pressure with a tester, or at least press the valve button and see if it sprays or dribbles out. Turn the key to the RUN position for about 5 seconds, turn it off and depress the valve, or use the pressure tester and leave the key in the RUN position. Anything under 50 psi I would replace the fuel pump.

Have you done the key dance and have any codes?

Old 01-29-2011 | 09:56 AM
samnbensdad
|
Captain

I did the "key dance"... nothing. I didn't check the pressure at fuel rail valve. I'll do that when get back in town. I actually had the D packed and ready to leave town when this happened so I only spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to start before I had to give up and reload our bags in another car.

Old 01-31-2011 | 07:58 PM
samnbensdad
|
Captain

Update:

Fuel rail pressure was 48psi with key in "on" position; 50psi while engine was cranking. According to my sevice manual it should be 49psi +/- 5psi. I replaced the battery and ignition coil... engine cranked faster but still didin't start. So, I tried starting fluid directly in the TB. The engine spuddered. So, I decided to try pumping the gas pedal... spuddered some more. Next I pumped, then held the pedal to the floor while cranking ... it started. It is starting fine and running again.

My assumption is that I may have gotten moisture in the fuel lines or tank... maybe just bad gas. I know that I will not go back to that gas station again though.

Anyone else have other interpretations for the cause???

Old 01-31-2011 | 08:20 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I would get a can of Sea Foam and put half of it in the tank with a full tank of gas to get the all of the moisture out of the lines.

Old 01-31-2011 | 08:53 PM
samnbensdad
|
Captain

Already did. Picked some up when I took my old battery in for the core refund.

Old 01-31-2011 | 10:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I would put a bottle of "Heat" (Yellow bottle available at your local truck stop and it's cheap) in the fuel tank to disperse moisture and dry the fuel.

Old 02-01-2011 | 07:10 AM
samnbensdad
|
Captain

I wasn't sure about Heat. I was afraid Uncle Hydra might scream at me for using an additive other than Sea Foam. LOL.

Quick Reply: Dead Durango