4WD question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 PM
josephf31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD question

Hey all, got another question; 1998 Durango SLT 5.2 4WD

(no owner's manual)

How can I tell if the 4WD is engaged besides looking at the lever? Is there supposed to be a light on the dash, or on the top of or to the side of the 4wd lever on the floor?

When I turn the ignition on but don't start the car, I don't see any lights in the dash that have to do with 4wd, nor do I see any on or near the 4wd shift lever console.

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

their should be a light on the dash that says "4wd part time" (even though your durango doesnt have pt 4wd)

Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 AM
josephf31
Default If

Originally Posted by SumAmerican
their should be a light on the dash that says "4wd part time" (even though your durango doesnt have pt 4wd)
there was a light on the dash, shouldn't I see it when I turn the key to "ON" but don't start the engine? (unless the bulb is burned out).

My Durango is part-time 4WD, the floor lever selections are 2WD (hi), 4WD HI, N and 4WD LO

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then you do NOT have the PT case! You have the NV231 Transfer Case. Check the seal to ensure. Located on the rear of the T-case 3/4 the way up on a round tag.

Technically, they both are a "Part Time" case, but the 242HD case has an extra position called "4X4 PT" meaning 5 separate positions. These are a....PITA.....to operate however the best.....IMHO

Anyway to ensure you are out of 4X4 turn the wheel sharply on dry pavement and pull forward or reverse ans see if it hops. If it does it is still engaged.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 AM
josephf31
Default OK

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Then you do NOT have the PT case! You have the NV231 Transfer Case. Check the seal to ensure. Located on the rear of the T-case 3/4 the way up on a round tag.

Technically, they both are a "Part Time" case, but the 242HD case has an extra position called "4X4 PT" meaning 5 separate positions. These are a....PITA.....to operate however the best.....IMHO

Anyway to ensure you are out of 4X4 turn the wheel sharply on dry pavement and pull forward or reverse ans see if it hops. If it does it is still engaged.
I will check that next time -- I thought I remember feeling a "chatter" last time I turned sharply and the lever was (I thought) in 2WD HI -- is it possible it's not releasing from 4WD?

The vacuum lines under the hood are all good. When I am stopped and move the lever from N to 4LO I feel a little "crunch"...

Still, does anyone know if my '98 has any lights or indicators besides the position of the lever to indicate what mode the transfer case is in?

You guys rock!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josephf31
I will check that next time -- I thought I remember feeling a "chatter" last time I turned sharply and the lever was (I thought) in 2WD HI -- is it possible it's not releasing from 4WD?

The vacuum lines under the hood are all good. When I am stopped and move the lever from N to 4LO I feel a little "crunch"...

Still, does anyone know if my '98 has any lights or indicators besides the position of the lever to indicate what mode the transfer case is in?

You guys rock!

My '98 has lights in the gauge cluster (at the bottom right about level with the steering wheel) that indicate if im in 4w pt, 4w ft, or 4w lo....

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 AM
josephf31

Originally Posted by Old_School
My '98 has lights in the gauge cluster (at the bottom right about level with the steering wheel) that indicate if im in 4w pt, 4w ft, or 4w lo....
Could I have lights out in the dash, or I remember seeing something about the switch on the transfer case being bad and causing no display in the truck? thx

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 AM
josephf31
Default I just noticed

Originally Posted by Old_School
That you have a part-time transfer case, which I don't -- I also thought I remember reading somewhere that only the part time tf units had indicators in the dash??

Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the lights are there in the dash, its just a matter of whether they are hooked up to anything, if they are not, im sure you could find a way to hook it up

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At key on neither of the two 4WD lights will light up. Maybe the cluster test (hold trip reset button on cluster then turn key on while still holding down the button) will make them light up in the test.

Since you have the PT only case, the green "4WD Full Time" light will in your cluster won't have a bulb installed in it. But a yellow "4WD Part Time" light on the lower cluster aera should be visable when you are in 4WD high or low.

Quick Reply: 4WD question