1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ecm connectors source & Conn compound

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:41 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecm connectors source & Conn compound

2002 4.7. I'm now having a problem with the connectors at the ecm. The ecm is new. When I move them around I get different codes.

Does anyone here have a quick fix? A source for new connectors? I've also read about a connection enhancement compound as well (not lithium that's dielectric but something that enhances connectivity).

Thanks guys.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Blow out the pinouts with compressed air and plug it back in. Sounds like water got in it to me.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:39 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Thanks Hydra, I did that and it still acted up on me. Different codes and such.

I took each connector apart and squeezed each connector on all three pig tails. I think it did the trick.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good thing to try is a drag test. you take a male terminal that is the same size as the terminals yo are working with and insert it into each female terminal. There should be a slight drag to it when pushing in or pulling the terminal out. if not do what you did and pry it open or replace terminals if they are too far gone or corroded. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use some dielectric grease on them as well.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

If you're not experiencing any stalling problems then most of the pins still have a good connection. Sounds like water corrosion or rust maybe on the connector side. If you use dieletric grease that's fine, just make sure it doesn't get messy and start touching more than one pin at a time. I believe there is a tricky way to actually open up the connector, most likely the back pulls off and you can maybe pry a small flat screw driver in there to push a little on the side of the female connectors so they contract a little. Just make sure all of the pins don't pull out.

If I knew the connectors were bad for sure I wouldn't mess with it and just go to a bone yard, cut them off another D with the same motor and model year and break out the scissors and tape and start matching up wire colors.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Evon. Dielectric grease is non conductive so it doesn't matter if it bridges connections.

However, I've come to find out that at most, you can apply it to the female pins then blow it out, leaving only a residual amount.

Taking the connectors apart is tricky, you have to press the blue tab on the buckle IN, making the twin tabs on the other side come out and that unlocks the female pins from the buckle. Its touchy but not too bad.

We were having problems on bumpy roads before- and now she runs SOLID.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I personally never had good experience putting dielectric grease on PCM connectors because some things run off very very small voltages like 1/10th of a volt and the very little resistance threw my sensors off, or maybe I just had contaminated grease.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 PM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Yeah its good stuff for blocking water or dust but terrible on low voltage connections. Its touch and go as well since it keeps moisture IN as well.

I'm so glad the D is running fine now.

Quick Reply: ecm connectors source & Conn compound