1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Major Brake Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 PM
KSteng89
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Major Brake Problem!

Hey everyone, I have a 1998 Durango 4X4 5.2L Auto I started having a big brake problem. So, I was cruising down the road at about 40mph and went to to press the brake and it was firm but, then it would get loose making me press it further down and get it firm again. It would keep doing this till i had the brake pedal all the way to the floor and then the ABS and Brake light would come on. After I'd get going again it would just help again once i pressed the brake. I couldn't find any leaks and the brake fluid resevior is full. I don't want to take it to a shop unless i have to because I'm strained for money at the moment. I did let my cousin top up the fluids in it about a 3 weeks ago and he said he thinks he may have accidently pored a splash of power steering fluid in the brake fluid resevior but i wasn't to worried about it because he said it was less then a spoonful. I'm not sure if its something else or if he pored way more then half a spoonful in it or what. Any help?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Umm power steering fluid shouldn't be in the brake fluid plain and simple. I'd get the brake fluid flushed out and put DOT 3 fluid in it I believe it calls for.

Check vacuum connections to the brake booster and make sure it's doing what it should.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 PM
KSteng89
Rookie

I also forgot to mention i wanst having any problems until some A hole cut me off and made me pop a really tall curb.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KSteng89
I also forgot to mention i wanst having any problems until some A hole cut me off and made me pop a really tall curb.
DAMN PA DRIVERS!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

If you don't have any leaks, I'd be looking at either your master cylinder having an internal leak, or your brake booster acting up. The ABS light will come on if there's low or too much pressure in the brake lines while the brake lights are on, so at the end of your travel you probably lose all pressure meaning your master cylinder seals are bad, could have been eaten up by the PS fluid.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Also if you need to keep pumping your brake pedal to keep the pressure up to make the car stop, then once again that's your master cylinder going bad, assuming there are no external leaks.

Last edited by Evon Trizmo; 03-18-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 PM
KSteng89
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
Also if you need to keep pumping your brake pedal to keep the pressure up to make the car stop, then once again that's your master cylinder going bad, assuming there are no external leaks.
no its actually the opposite, if i pump the brakes fast i lose pressure faster

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Then I'd check out the brake booster like widow suggested and make sure it's all working correctly. And deffinetly get that PS fluid out of the brake system ASAP, it will eat away the seals in the brake system just like brake fluid will eat up seals in a PS system. Taking your car in to get the brakes bled will run you about $80, so if you can do it yourself then do so.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a Master Cylinder or a bad caliper on the side you hit.

What should be done if power steering fluid is put in the brake reservoir?

Modern brake systems require glycol or silicone based fluids. Of the several properties brake fluid must have, one is that it must not deteriorate the metal and rubber parts it contacts. The problem with p/s fluid is that it attacks rubber components, causing them to swell, distort and eventually leak.
If you added just a little bit of p/s fluid to your brake fluid reservoir, immediately realized your mistake and suctioned it out, you might not have a problem. However, using your brakes after adding the fluid pushed it beyond the master cylinder, contaminating the entire hydraulic system. Once brake systems are contaminated, the effects are soon realized.

The safest solution is to replace and/or overhaul all hydraulic brake parts that contain rubber (i.e.: calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, hoses). I�ve seen people try to get away with replacing just the master cylinder, but they soon became believers. The petroleum residue left in those systems continued to eat away at cups and seals, effectively ruining the brakes. After replacing the appropriate parts, the system should be flushed with denatured alcohol, or at least several cans of brake fluid. Sorry but this may turn out to be a very costly mistake.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_should_be_done_if_power_steering_fluid_is_put _in_a_brake_reservoir

Old 03-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

You might get away with disconnecting the master cylinder lines, and open the RR caliper and just start sucking all the fluid back out the master cylinder lines, then open the rest of the caliper bleeder valves and do the same and you might be safe. Hydra is all about spending the money and doing it right the first time, which isn't a bad thing at all don't get me wrong. He knows best.

Quick Reply: Major Brake Problem!