1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dash Lights and Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM
LDAlcorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Lights and Blinkers

Howdy - 200 Durango, 4.7 4X4. Great truck, but all of a sudden, when I turn on the left blinker (head lights off), the dash lights all flash in opposite sequence. Also, when the headlights are on, I have no left blinker. ALSO, the left rear and front right marker lamps are burning much brighter than the others. I already replace all of the rear bulbs. Any Ideas?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
LDAlcorn
Default Email

I'll be working on the truck, but email replies will come through to my phone. ldalcorn - at - yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any help...!!!!!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
LDAlcorn
Default Followup

Sorry for the multi-posting, but something came to mind. Last week, a rear door actuator went out on me, and I unplugged the power harness, thinking it would just shut it off. I instantly blew a taillight fuse, so I replaced the fuse and re-plugged the actuator. Does doing this require re-initializing the CTM or something else? If so, can anyone other than the dealer do this? Can I just unhook the battery and hard-boot the entire system?

Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ctm shouldnt need to be reinitialized, yes you can do a hard reset by taking the battery neg wire off and holding the key to start for 30 seconds or so, this resets, the pcm, tcm, and ctm, it does NOT unprogram your ctm (your keys will still work ect ect)

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM
LDAlcorn
Default Update

Tried the hard reset...no difference. Still flashes the dash lights when the headlights are off and the left blinker is turned on (both rear lights flash, but just the front left flashes). The right blinker works fine...front and rear lights work as expected When the headlights are on, and the left blinker is engaged, nothing happens...just the left blinker arrow burns continuously and no flash, front or back...again, the right side works fine. Any ideas??

Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Mastec
Professional

Could it be a broken or disconnected ground wire.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

at this point it almost has to be some shorting wires somewhere in the wire harness, that is touching the turn signal wire to a headlight wire, its a royal pain, but its time to start tracing wires

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is typically a bad bulb. Check out your bulbs. I've seen this a few times and is pretty cool how it backfeeds through the dash lights. Electricity will always find the shortest path to ground.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2 on checking the bulbs.. if still no change then im afraid that its time to start tracing wires.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM
LDAlcorn
Default Update: 4-2-11

I still have the problem...left blinker causes the dash lights to flash, etc.

I replaced all six of the bulbs in the rear, and cleaned all of the contacts, and verified that all six are burning in the front, although one bulb burns brighter in the rear left, and the front right...?

Today I noticed that my hazards work fine when the headlights are off, but as soon as I turn the lights on, the hazards stop working? ANy ides? Is the flasher dying, perhaps? I may replace it, just to see...it looks pretty easy to get to.

I have also popped the trailer fuse, thinking that if it was a wiring issue at the hitch, this would solve it. No effect...the problem remains the same, so I'm thinking it is NOT the trailer wiring.

urgh

Quick Reply: Dash Lights and Blinkers