1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C Compressor Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Groggy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Indicator

I upgraded to my Durango to have the power and comfort level I wanted to have even while towing. I was frustrated that I could not tell when the A/C Compressor was running. While normally this would not be an issue, I wanted to make sure that if I turned off my A/C, it was really off. I spliced into the clutch power lines and ran them into the cab, opened up the selector switch assembly and added a resistor and a bright green led to turn on when the clutch received 12v to turn on. I took a video of the result. I am pleased with the outcome and learned that when the selector is on the third option for panel/floor, that the A/C is still "ON". This is why when I turned the selector from Max Air or Air to Panel and Floor that the compressor seamed to keep running... because it was!

In the video I start'r up, turn on the lights, crank up the brightness, drop it into drive and run through the selector switch to show the additional light when the compressor turns on. If I leave it alone (the selector switch) on a setting that runs the A/C, it will turn off, then back on as the pressure cycles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH9HDEwYiWk

Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i like that idea

Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

HELL YA, I,VE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THAT VERY F**KIN THING!!!!!!!!

I have been here for years!!!!!, and even knowing that I thought the very same thing (with backing from the service manual), you just proved my very freakin thoughts! I have always'ed thought that the A/C compressor was moving even though I was told it wasn't supposed to be. Even though people have told me to keep it in other positions, I've kept mine in floor or panel only. All I can say is WOW!

BTW, you are a hairy SOB just like me........LOL

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-03-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AC is the THREE spots closest to the LEFT... even though only TWO of them have snowflakes on the switch showing they are AC settings.

See... in EARLY 1998 Dodge had the snow flakes in all 3 spots. For some reason, later in 98 and on from there, the snow flake indicator was only on the last 2 spots even though all 3 were still AC.

The 3 snow flake indicators are rare. I have one in the garage waiting for some spare time to add it to my 2 flake indicator "Just Because" and to be probably the only 2000 D in the world with all three snowflakes.

The AC compressor DOES cycle in the Defrost settings as well. No AC, but the compressor will cycle.

IndyDurango

Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Groggy
Rookie

Hydra,

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
BTW, you are a hairy SOB just like me........LOL
I might be the tallest EWOK Ever! But at least I know when my A/C compressor is running... LOL

Indy,

I kept being told by people that I have had in my D that the A/C was not running in Panel/Floor, but there you go. I think that If I was to have purchased a new Durango in '00 that I would have sprang for the $0.45 option for the third snowflake!

Last edited by Groggy; 04-03-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

LOL. Indeed!!

They just stopped putting the snowflake indicator on the panel. I am sure it was a mistake however they never went back and corrected it.

Now you know!

BTW, what is that vibrating noise in the video?

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 04-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:24 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Groggy........It was probably a 0.45 cent option for them.......For the Consumer it probably would be more like a $45.00 option....LOL!!

I always heard that the Compressor cycles on defrost mode, provides supplemental air to help defrost the windshields faster and keep them cleaner.

Now that we are transitioning from Winter to Spring sounds like we might getting more VENT/A/C posts. Probably just people ops checking and letting us know how they work.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Groggy
Rookie

Indy,

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
BTW, what is that vibrating noise in the video?
I honestly did not notice that! Now I gotta go figure out what the noise is... I re-did the video with the camera in the same position, mounted to my Gorilla pod and clinging to the top of the passenger seat. The noise was there when the D was running. I moved the camera to be sitting on the seat cushion of the passenger seat and the noise went away. I guess the seat back of the passenger seat is rattling. I can't here it without the camera, so I guess it's OK.

Where did you come by the 3 snowflake indicator? Is it something you picked up while at a wrecking yard?

Last edited by Groggy; 04-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

That's pretty cool not gonna lie. I think once I get around to buying a new A/C compressor to put in (have a bypass pulley in there for now since old one seized up) I will be doing this because I really like that idea. Well done!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Originally Posted by Groggy
Where did you come by the 3 snowflake indicator? Is it something you picked up while at a wrecking yard?
Yes. Pick-a-Part in Indianapolis.

IndyD

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Indicator