1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

T/S Bar and Shackle lift with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T/S Bar and Shackle lift with a twist

Alright so here's my question, I've been planning on doing this lift for quite a while now and here's the big question. Is it possible to make the rear of the leaf spring stationary and add shackles to the front of it or am I out of my mind? haha. The reason I'm asking is the shackles stick out way past the rear bumper (unless I get an SP360 body kit) and look pretty obvious, with the running boards installed, shackles on the front of the spring would be barely noticable. If it's not possible I'd rather just go with add-a-leaf or something.
I would assume the longer shackles would give it a slighty smoother ride in the back but of course it will be more harsh up front. When we offroad and jump the rear passengers always get thrown around up in the air and beaten up from whiplash and whatnot back there, the front just sinks and hits hard once haha.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No it's not posible because the rear end could never be stationary enough to align the truck, and you have to have a stationary pivot point for the main wheel torque to flow into the chasis.

You have 2 choices as I see to acomplish your goal of not seeing the shackles hanging down,

1. Add-a-leaf
2. New longer and arched leaf springs.

Personally, I would do the new leaf springs and call it a day. Your going to have a better all around ride from the rear. Front would still be a bit stiffer then normal but not much.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Ah, ya that's what I was thinking, just getting a new set of leaf springs for more lift, but you know always taking the cheap way out haha. The add-a-leaf sounds like more work than it's worth. Just thought I'd throw it out there and ask.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:12 PM
bowhuntmaine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a more harsh ride but u can put overloads on it to. Jack up the rear at the last crossmember until both wheels are off the ground and you have max sag, bolt on the overloads and lower it. It evens it out perfectly with the torsion bar adjustment (atleast it did on mine). Overloads are 35 bucks at autozone.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

That's another way to do it. The rear springs seem a little weak and longer shackles won't help that out at all but overloads will stiffen it up a bit. We had 4 guys in the back of my D and the rear suspension was just about maxed out, looked like a broke something out on the trail haha.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM
bowhuntmaine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 8 bags of cement in the back (80 lbs a piece) 640 or so pounds, and it didn't squat it more than an inch. Its a rougher ride and i have no need right now for articulation.

Quick Reply: T/S Bar and Shackle lift with a twist