1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New to forum...need a little help w/ a power steering issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Lakey01Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New to forum...need a little help w/ a power steering issue.

Ok, got an '01 Durango 4.7 SLT4X4. Just had Crackboys (Pepboys) replace the rack, pump and pressure hose. I'm not sure why they didn't replace the return hose. The service manager told me it wasn't bad... I probably should've had them replace but I digress. I'm not sure if I have the 17mm or 18mm pump but I hope they'd know. They did flush the system and put in new fluid, it's the brown not red. Pump and rack, unfortunately, are refurbished parts from Oh no, OReily... again I know I should have had new ones but...again I digress. Got my truck back and the whiny freakin' noise coming from the pump is still there.

I did a through inspection of the job they did when I got home. There was no leaking anywhere but I noticed the dust boot was twisted real bad on the drivers side tie rod. So, I took it back and they said it was a defective pump;they fixed the boot and replaced the pump with another refurbished but more expensive pump(no cost to me, under warranty). They did another fluid flush and bleeding session for an entire day. Got my truck back and the noise is not as bad but is still there. Literally, my V8 Durango sounds like a wind up toy when I'm turning the wheel. However, out of all the posts I read my problem is unique. My pump noise is only persistent after I've been on the road for more than few minutes. When I cold crank in the morning before work or after work it sounds great no noise when turning the wheels or whining when at a stop. But right as I pull off the freeway when I get to work or other destination there it is my freaking wind up toy. Hope someone can help, you guys seem to be very knowledgeable on these forums.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

I get a similar noise from my 01 SLT when I am sitting still and just randomly turning it. I have replaced the pump 2 times, the low and high hoses, and the D has 201,000 miles on it, but thats with the existing rack thats on it. I have also test drove MANY 01-03 thats have the same "whining" noice when doing the exact same thing... so it just may be an "unknown" issue with the same ones I have test drove. Just my opinion.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Lakey01Durango

Thanks for the input...but I can't afford to replace the pump again and again, ya know.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Lakey01Durango

One more tid bit...When I got to work this morning I did a check of the system. Last night I had wiped everything down so I could do anther leak check today...when I popped the hood I saw that the cap on the fluid resevior was allowing the tiniest bit of fluid out during the drive cycle to work... nothing else is leaking so I hope I found the problem. I'll check back later to see if you guys posted anything. Thanks...

Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If a small amount is coming out of the cap, chances are there was just a bit too much in there and it's getting it out because once the fluid gets hot it expands quite a bit. This is normal and the way the power steering reservoir evacuates un-needed fluid in there.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Lakey01Durango

Thanks WW, I actually confirmed that today when I got home cuz there was no fluid coming from the reservoir. But the fluid is still foamy after a drive cycle. The only thing I can think of is is that the refurbished parts are the problem. They're not leaking fluid but they're allowing air in from somewhere. Everything is under the extended warranty at Pepboys so they're gonna figure it out come hell or high water, or power steering fluid. Thanks again, if you got any tips please let me know, the noise is bugging the hell outta me.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Also you gotta make sure they put the correct fluid. There's a brown and a redish fluid and the brown fluid is hard to come by outside of a dealership. I know this because my personal system uses the brown fluid and just stick your finger in the fluid and see what color it is.

I'd contact a dealrship and have them see if they can tell you what type of fluid it requires based on the model number on the pump. If it kinda looks like ATF and the dealer told you it requires brown fluid, make sure you call PepBoys and have them pay to flush the system and put in some new brown Mopar PS fluid.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Lakey01Durango

I checked the fluid also. It is the brown fluid. Not sure if it is the Mopar necessarily but it is brown, well golden due to being new I suppose. I'm telling you WW I've read all the posts regarding power steering problems and you and Hydra Shocker seem the most knowledgeable about all things Dodge. Everything you two have said I've looked for and I just cant seem to get the damn air outta the system. I can't think of anything other than it being the refurbished parts.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well since it's got the right fluid I'm assuming they or you bled the system for air already, correct? To do this (I'd try it again just to make sure its alright) jack the front end up so the front wheels clear and remove the power steering reservoir cap.

With the steering wheel turn the wheel fully left and right about 10 or 11 times and this should bleed all the air out that's stuck in the system. Of course, do this with the vehicle off or it will just flow the air thru the system.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Lakey01Durango

Yeah, it's been bled, multiple times. I did it yesterday specifically. Pepboys also did Sunday after replacing the pump again. That's why I'm truly stuck. I just have a feeling if I keep taking it to Pepboys they're just gonna keep replacing the pump without truly diagnosing what is wrong with the system.
On another note, I was fiddling with it a minute ago after I got back from getting dinner. I was feeling around the pump and reservoir and it really sounds like the noise is coming from the reservoir. I held onto it while my wife revved the engine and I could feel the vibration of the noise on the reservoir. You think the reservoir may need to be changed?

Quick Reply: New to forum...need a little help w/ a power steering issue.