1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need a new Radiator...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Brekar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new Radiator...

Well today I was on the way home and I stopped to get my kids some Papa Johns. When I got out and heard a long, low "HISSSSSSSS"ing sound. When I popped the hood I found a nice 4-5 inch long crack in the plastic directly under the top radiator hose, and it was spraying my 50/50 antifreeze all over the place. Needless to say I now require a new radiator. My question is where do I get one that doesn't cost me a freaking arm and a leg, but yet not be of cheap quality.
The cheapest I have found is Auto Zone for $170, and the most expensive was Napa for $325 and Dodge OEM for $436...
Anywhere that you guys trust to buy from either locally or via the internet that isn't super expensive???

Thanks in advance...

Brekar...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 PM
fielder87
Rookie

go to the wreckers,clean really well and put in!cheers!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Brekar
Rookie

Do you mean go to a junk yard and get a used one, clean it up, and hope for the best???

Later...

Brekar...

Old 05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

do not cheap out and get one from a junkyard, check out rockauto, they tend to have some pretty good deals

just checked rockauto.com has em from 120+

Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 AM
neilb
Professional

Check Amazon, I picked up a "TYC" brand Rad for my 5.9 Durango for $119. shipped this was a realy good quality dual core radiator, at least as good as any I ever fitted, Flushed the system, fitted a 180 T-stat, new filler cap, the D now runs cooler than she ever did since I had her, good luck.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First you have to look between the condenser and the radiator (on a 1998-1999) and see if you have a auxiliary transmission cooler. It was available if you have the tow package and some that didn't. If it is there then you should buy the same style and they are about $80 bucks more. An Auto Zone or any other brand should be fine and they are all built the same. 2 core (row), plastic top and bottom, and aluminum body.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
neilb
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
First you have to look between the condenser and the radiator (on a 1998-1999) and see if you have a auxiliary transmission cooler. It was available if you have the tow package and some that didn't. If it is there then you should buy the same style and they are about $80 bucks more. An Auto Zone or any other brand should be fine and they are all built the same. 2 core (row), plastic top and bottom, and aluminum body.
Thats the one I picked up from Amazon Hydra, mines a 2003, but I have the same setup
http://www.amazon.com/TYC-2294-Alumi...ar=1&carId=001
I found this to be good quality, and a perfect fit, took about 8 days to arrive, had it in for 2 weeks now with no problems, dont know if it will last as long as oem, but at the price you cant go wrong imo.

Last edited by neilb; 05-07-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Brekar
Rookie

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I actually have a brand new transmission cooler on my Durango, I took the radiator out when my water pump went out so I would have some extra room, and I dropped the original transmission cooler, snapping off a huge chunk from one of the corners, thus the brand new one. I bought a new transmission cooler from O'Rilley and had it on after some creative engineering (mostly due to the fact that no one carried one with the same attachments the original one had). Now I need a new radiator (wish I had the money back then to switch it out). I do have a question though since you brought up tow packages. My Durango didn't come with the tow hitch on it, but when I bought it it had one that had been installed from U Haul, but it did have the transmission cooler, and it has a switch to turn the Over-Drive on or off on the gear shifter. Does that switch mean it has a tow package???

Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

My 2000 Durango never had a tow hitch as far as I know, and it has the external cooler as well. And as far as I know all of them have the O/D off button, basically that is the only way to put these in 3rd.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
neilb
Professional
Cool

Originally Posted by Compactc9
My 2000 Durango never had a tow hitch as far as I know, and it has the external cooler as well. And as far as I know all of them have the O/D off button, basically that is the only way to put these in 3rd.
So does a Durango jump from 2nd to 4th unless the overdrive button is depressed !, please explain ????, I must have been driving my D wrong all of this time thinking my trans selected 3rd gear without any input from me, am I thick.

Quick Reply: Need a new Radiator...