1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C leak coming from behind the glovebox?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C leak coming from behind the glovebox?

I am actually dreading the answer to this question. The A/C wasn't that cold since I got the 01 Durango 5.9 4X4, but since it was going into the fall season I didn't worry to much about it. Here is what I did notice. I went to AutoZone and got the recharge kit. I filled the system and everyhting was fine and cold air was coming from the vents so I was very happy. And then this happened... I turned the engine off and then I heard "hissing" sound like a leak coming from behind the glovebox. I went out to check under the hood at the lines but there was no "hissing" sound. Then it stopped. It stopped because all the freon I put in leaked out. I had another can and re-filled it again, knowing it was going to leak, but thinking I could pin point the area. Once again same thing... I turned the engine off and then the "hissing" sound was back from the same area. I have read MULTIPLE posts about pulling the dash and the fact that it takes a pretty good amount of time in one day. Has anyone ever had this issue that could point me to where it may be coming from? I told my wife that I wasn't going to mess with it, then I realized we were taking it on vacation in a month to Tennessee with our boat and she ABSOLUTELY would not go without A/C (high maintenance woman huh?) Then I told her she could stay home... "she didn't think that was funny!"

Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

The A/C evaporator coil is in the general area you've been hearing the hissing sound come from. I would suspect that it sprung a leak, as in my limited experience I've never heard of hoses/connections on the A/C lines leaking up around there, but no matter what I don't think there's any way other than taking the dash out to get in there and work on it.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Unfortunately the only way to get real positive answer is to pull..at least the glovebox and see what you can. Take a flashlight and look for obvious leaks. If the EVAP core is shot or leaking as I suspect it is. The whole dash has to be removed... not for the faint of heart and plan on at least a full day if not a weekend.

Also and as Hanz&Franz would say....... "Listen to me now and believe me later." If you pull the dashboard for the EVAP core....do yourself a favor and change the Heater Core at the same time. When one fails the other one isnt too far behind and the dashboard has to come out again. It might be a little more now but the peace of mind of not having to pull the dashboard again putting the D out of service for another weekend is well worth it.

IndyD. Did your heater core voodoo doll get loose from the cabinet again?...LOL!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well as the very cold fluid makes it's way through the slowly warming evaporator it can make a slight hissing sound, this is normal.

What I found when reading your post is how do you know that the fluid actually "Leaked"? Do you have gauges?

If you put too much in it thinking there is a large leak then why would it work? Something sounds fishy?????

Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

My A/C works perfectly and switching the A/C on and-or off results in a hissing sound in my dash. All my Dodges have made the same sound when using the A/C. It's when the hissing stops that you have to be worried.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Default A/C leak problem pretty much found, looks like I am "pulling" the dash!

So here is what I had... last year i traded for the 01 Durango 5.9 4x4 to find that the A/C was blowing hot air. Considering it was September and I did not really care as I did not need it (kept the windows down). However I did hook up guages to find zero pressure in the system at that time. Then at that time I bought a 1lb can just to test it at Wally World (a.ka. Walmart) because it was a cheap can that I figure would show some signs if there was a problem. I turned the D on, turned on the blower, hit the A/C button and yeah... I had some cold air... then it was hot again after 10 seconds. When I turned the D off I noticed a leaking sound coming from behind the dash that was like a "hissing" sound I reported in an earlier post. So tonight I got down on the floor board and noticed the "white" round plug that had a sensor in it and removed it to check out the condition of the core. Just from that view I found alot of white crusty matter on the fins and green oil on the fins. It was also covered with alot of debris which is probably unknown at this point. So I went back to Wally World and bought another cheap can of 134a and put it in. I got it up to about 15 psi (can ran out). I turned off the D and went to the access hole from earlier and the "hissing" sound was coming from inside the core housing and at a louder sound. At this point I have pretty much come to the conclusion of the beginning of "HELL" and have cleared my calender of the next week to rent a car, pull the dash, and replace both heater and A/C cores. Should I take pictures of this for anyone? Please keep in mind... there will be much drinking, so if you do not like seeing Bud Light cans ALL OVER, you may not want these pictures. I will try to keep the images of blood and tears at a minimum!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

The reason I came to the conclusion that the core was bad was when the "hissing" sound started I put in 1 small can that brought it up to 15 psi on the guage and the "hissing" sound started, then after 10 minutes of hearing the "hissing" sound under the dash... it stopped and the guage was at 0 psi. Not to mention... from what I saw though the white round access plug/sensor was the fins were covered in green at the bottom and white crusty matter and foreign debirs all over the place.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

+1 magic

like magic said replace the heater core while the dash is a part sounds like the evap coil is shot

Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Bring on the camera and Buds!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You have created 2 separate threads on the same issue.

Merge please.......lol https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-the-dash.html

Quick Reply: A/C leak coming from behind the glovebox?