1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Whirring noise in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Sharp, I absolutely did have a transmission flush performed... That was the very first thing we did to the truck after I bought it. I raised my concerns with the shop about a flush being a bad idea (after all the reading I did here) and I was assured that their machine absolutely could not do any harm...

Regardless, AFTER THAT, we ALSO did a transmission fluid purge + filter + new gasket... All on top of the flush. I suppose we probably could have adjusted the bands while we were in there.

But I'm not having any shifting problems whatsoever... In fact, the truck is running perfectly, I was just wondering about the engagement noise when selecting reverse.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea i know what you meant it was hydra that claimed you did, i was sticking up for you this time, lol

Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
please read this piece of his post before saying that, he had it purged(he just used the wrong term)
Please re-read other posts before calling me out. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ease-help.html Check post # 29 and your post 30

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ease-help.html

No, Sharp, I absolutely did have a transmission flush performed

I question the flush, and thus my reasoning for my post.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i had forgotten about that post hydra, my bad, but based on what he said in this thread i was correct.

now just to clear somethings up we need answers,
a FLUSH is a machine which pushes high pressure fluid through the system
a PURGE simply pumps out the old fluid while replacing it with new

which did you have done rob??

Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
98RangoSLT
Amateur

i had forgotten about that post hydra, my bad, but based on what he said in this thread i was correct.

He said he had both done.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Okay... Wow... This is all very confusing.

My mechanic uses a machine to swap the fluid (by using the trans cooler lines) new fluid is pumped in and the old fluid comes out...

I was assured their machine does *NOT* pressurize the lines and used the transmissions internal pump.

So I had a "purge" done I suppose? I was unaware that there were both purge machines AND flush machines.

I thought purge simply meant dropping the pan and getting the fluid out that way.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

NO: 21-08-99
SUBJECT: "Buzz", "Whining", Or "Moaning" Like Noise From A Cold Transmission When Reverse Is Selected.
DATE: April 30, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the transmission regulator valve.

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A RE OR RH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent noise from the transmission when reverse gear is selected. This noise has been described as a "buzz", whining", or "moaning" like noise. The noise is most noticeable when transmission fluid temperature is below 38 C. (100 F.). The condition is caused by a resonance of the transmission regulator valve system.

Other items may cause regulator valve resonance, including air ingestion into the valve body or out of specification parts. These two items may be the result a possible cracked pump housing, a torn pump gasket, an under filled transmission, a restricted fluid filter or cooler flow, or an out of specification valve and/or valve body. You should remember these additional items / components when you perform your diagnosis.

Vehicles built prior to August 1, 1995 may experience this condition if either a transmission valve body or an entire automatic transmission was replaced with components manufactured after August 1, 1995.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DRB III®) with the appropriate Diagnostics Procedure Manual, verify all engine and transmission systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

For 1996 and 1997 model year product, review Technical Service Bulletin 21-11-97 Rev A to determine if it applies to this vehicle before attempting to complete the analysis or repairs described in this bulletin.

In most instances, the sump temperature of vehicles exhibiting transmission regulator valve resonance in reverse has been less than 38 C. (100 F). If possible, allow the suspect vehicle to remain parked in a cool place overnight. Then perform the following steps:

Set the vehicle parking brake.
Start the engine (make certain windows are closed, to eliminate outside noise).
With brakes applied, place the transmission selector lever in reverse.
Listen for any buzz/moaning/whining like noises as the transmission sump temperature rises to normal operating temperature (180 – 210 degrees F).
If a buzz/moaning/whining like noise is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04130169 Valve Steel Transmission Regulator
1 02464324 Gasket, Transmission Pan
AR 05010124AA Fluid, ATF Plus 3, Type 7176E

NO: 21-08-99
SUBJECT: "Buzz", "Whining", Or "Moaning" Like Noise From A Cold Transmission When Reverse Is Selected.
DATE: April 30, 1999
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the transmission regulator valve.

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A RE OR RH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent noise from the transmission when reverse gear is selected. This noise has been described as a "buzz", whining", or "moaning" like noise. The noise is most noticeable when transmission fluid temperature is below 38 C. (100 F.). The condition is caused by a resonance of the transmission regulator valve system.

Other items may cause regulator valve resonance, including air ingestion into the valve body or out of specification parts. These two items may be the result a possible cracked pump housing, a torn pump gasket, an under filled transmission, a restricted fluid filter or cooler flow, or an out of specification valve and/or valve body. You should remember these additional items / components when you perform your diagnosis.

Vehicles built prior to August 1, 1995 may experience this condition if either a transmission valve body or an entire automatic transmission was replaced with components manufactured after August 1, 1995.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DRB III®) with the appropriate Diagnostics Procedure Manual, verify all engine and transmission systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

For 1996 and 1997 model year product, review Technical Service Bulletin 21-11-97 Rev A to determine if it applies to this vehicle before attempting to complete the analysis or repairs described in this bulletin.

In most instances, the sump temperature of vehicles exhibiting transmission regulator valve resonance in reverse has been less than 38 C. (100 F). If possible, allow the suspect vehicle to remain parked in a cool place overnight. Then perform the following steps:

Set the vehicle parking brake.
Start the engine (make certain windows are closed, to eliminate outside noise).
With brakes applied, place the transmission selector lever in reverse.
Listen for any buzz/moaning/whining like noises as the transmission sump temperature rises to normal operating temperature (180 – 210 degrees F).
If a buzz/moaning/whining like noise is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04130169 Valve Steel Transmission Regulator
1 02464324 Gasket, Transmission Pan
AR 05010124AA Fluid, ATF Plus 3, Type 7176E

Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 AM
98RangoSLT
Amateur

Well, I am going to be servicing my transmission soon anyways.

Thanks Mastertech. Thanks for making the thread Rob.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

You know what? That's really funny... Because my symptom is exactly the opposite.

It was nice and cold and rainy this morning when I got up and went to work. And when I started the truck and put it in reverse - it was dead silent. I drove for 5 minutes, and then while stopped at a red light, I shifted into reverse, and the noise was present again. It only does it once the transmission reaches operating temperature?

I also checked the transmission fluid and I was unable to obtain an accurate reading.

I did it as prescribed, after driving for 15 minutes, shifting through all gears (and stopping for a few seconds after each shift) and then on level ground with the transmission in neutral - I checked the dipstick.

And when I say I couldn't obtain an accurate reading, I mean, there was fluid on the dipstick... And it looked and smelled proper... But it looked like it was a different level when viewed front to back. I figured maybe it was getting smeared while pulling it out of the dipstick tube or something? But I tried probably 5-6 times and I can't get a clear reading.

I'm going to add some fluid today and see if that makes any difference.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rob[GL]
Okay... Wow... This is all very confusing.

My mechanic uses a machine to swap the fluid (by using the trans cooler lines) new fluid is pumped in and the old fluid comes out...

I was assured their machine does *NOT* pressurize the lines and used the transmissions internal pump.

So I had a "purge" done I suppose? I was unaware that there were both purge machines AND flush machines.

I thought purge simply meant dropping the pan and getting the fluid out that way.
There is info all over this section describing what is what, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nsmission.html

What they did was a flush, NOT a purge. They need to drop the pan, install new filter, adjust if able, button it up, replace fluid, take line off return and use the trucks pump to pump the old fluid out while replacing with new fluid.

Remember they need to be using ATF+4, not any other fluid. Because of the cost of ATF+4 over multi-vehicle transmission fluids they don't like to do it. They use the cheap fluid instead of the right stuff.

Quick Reply: Whirring noise in reverse?