1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Whirring noise in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM
steffers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same noise the other day. I was in reverse waiting to back out of my drive way and i thought i heard a noise over the radio. So i turned down the radio and turned off the air(thinking that may have been it) but i still heard it. When my fiance got home after work, i asked him to go out and listen. He said he didn't hear anything. So maybe we are both just losing it..lol..i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L...

Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I stumbled accross this yesterday...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...f-durango.html

...and it describes my issue perfectely. I really hope nothing blows up. I already spent like $500 on transmission service to prevent something like that happening.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
ZCR1
Professional

My 2001 5.9 Durango has done this, while moving in reverse not sitting still, since the day I bought it new 120,000 miles ago. I have owned quite a few cars that have whined in reverse caused by reverse being a straight cut gear set. I had just assumed this was the case with the Durango and never looked into it deeper. I’ve towed a 5,000lb boat for the past ten summers with this truck and have yet to have a single issue with the transmission.

Last edited by ZCR1; 06-16-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Well I'm glad to hear that... Like I said, I'm probably just paranoid, I joined the forum and asked my questions, got my answers and have continued to keep up with the maintenance. I would just hate for something to go wrong now. I love the truck, it's treating me well, and I like to think it's because I treat it well.

The transmission still makes the funny noise while stationary in reverse, it goes away now as soon as I start accelerating, so I'm just going to presume it's a normal noise and hope nothing goes wrong.

Quick Reply: Whirring noise in reverse?