1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Code P0753 1999 Durango 5.2 44re Limp Mode No First or Overdrive HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice find!

Thanks for posting up your update. I wouldn't think of a bad wire, but anything can happen. Stories like this remind everyone of the basics.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM
1999fivepointnine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem no first, no overdrive,

I too have similar problems with my 1999 Durango with a 5.9 and 44RE trans. Spent the day today verifying the wiring integrity and codes that are indicating a bad or open connection in the trans relay circuit.

Traced my problem back to the Trans Relay in the PDB and found out that the relay itself was ok. Has 12volts after starting, but the #30 terminal from the PCM connector has a weak ground signal. So, the relay does not work unless you jump the side coming from the PCM to ground. Then you get 12v to trans. Called guy who rebuilt the PCM, and I'm looking to see if he will do anything on the rebuild. Was replaced earlier this year in April by previous owner. Tomorrow I'm going to try driving with a jumper wire and see if the trans shifts ok.

Last edited by 1999fivepointnine; 12-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM
CodyEricson
Default I have similar problems

I have a 99 durango 5.2 4wd with 129,000 miles on it. Overdrive recently started slipping. sometimes the trans wouldn't shift into O/D until 2500 rpms and around 50-55 mph, and when i would slow down(press the brake, release the gas etc.) the trans would slip out of O/D back down a gear. I pulled the pan down replaced the filter, governor pressure solenoid and the governor pressure sensor. The check engine light went off and hasn't come back on yet. i have not replaced the O/D solenoids yet or checked the wiring harness.

Any advice on what to do. I am by no means a transmission master but can use wrench. the local trans shop told me it was internal and needed to be rebuilt. I don't think that is necessary.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you should have adjusted the bands while you had the transmission pan down, now you need to drop it again in order to adjust them properly

Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Vacationtime247

Try replacing the transmission speed sensor in the back of the trans.
VT247

CodyEricson
I have similar problems
I have a 99 durango 5.2 4wd with 129,000 miles on it. Overdrive recently started slipping. sometimes the trans wouldn't shift into O/D until 2500 rpms and around 50-55 mph, and when i would slow down(press the brake, release the gas etc.) the trans would slip out of O/D back down a gear. I pulled the pan down replaced the filter, governor pressure solenoid and the governor pressure sensor. The check engine light went off and hasn't come back on yet. i have not replaced the O/D solenoids yet or checked the wiring harness.

Any advice on what to do. I am by no means a transmission master but can use wrench. the local trans shop told me it was internal and needed to be rebuilt. I don't think that is necessary.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM
tex912

I just wanted to say thanks to vacationtime247 for his in depth thread. My 99 durango went into limp mode a month ago with the 753 code showing. I replaced all the solenoids in the trans including dropping the valve body and replacing the od solenoids. After I buttoned everything up and cleared codes it was still in limp mode. I search thread after thread, looking for clues and search for the dreaded "ball check valve" but never found anything that worked. After reading vacationtime247 thread i decided to check the harnesses on the trans. My first look revealed the plug to the od sensor was not plugged in completely. I had thought by pushing the valve body up into the trans, that plug would connect as I did not disconnect it before I pulled the valve body out. After plugging it in and resetting the codes the truck runs great. Today was the last chance to fix it as I was about to send it in for scrap metal at the local yard and buy a new vehicle. Thanks again guys. My wife loves her durango, bad mpg and all. LOL.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Vacationtime247

Friggin' electrical gremlins are my nemesis. No power going in to the transmission, no 1st or OD. Spent so much $ on trying to fix a problem that was solved for near free, a wire.
Went from a Durango to a Pontiac Aztek. Just for laughs, I'll write this as a reminder to myself of all the fixes I've done to both cars.
1999 Durango $1800:
Upper and lower ball joints
Inner and outer tie rods
Solenoid pack inside transmission, fluid & filter change (ooooooh what fun)
Starter
ECM
Rewired transmission plug in
Wire from transmission relay to transmission red wire #1
Sold $2800

2001 Pontiac Aztek GT $1500
Front & rear brakes
Front & rear wheel bearings
Upper engine gasket change, head gasket, intake gasket
4th gear transmission spline
outer tie rod ends
new stabilizer mounts
VT247

Originally Posted by tex912
I just wanted to say thanks to vacationtime247 for his in depth thread. My 99 durango went into limp mode a month ago with the 753 code showing. I replaced all the solenoids in the trans including dropping the valve body and replacing the od solenoids. After I buttoned everything up and cleared codes it was still in limp mode. I search thread after thread, looking for clues and search for the dreaded "ball check valve" but never found anything that worked. After reading vacationtime247 thread i decided to check the harnesses on the trans. My first look revealed the plug to the od sensor was not plugged in completely. I had thought by pushing the valve body up into the trans, that plug would connect as I did not disconnect it before I pulled the valve body out. After plugging it in and resetting the codes the truck runs great. Today was the last chance to fix it as I was about to send it in for scrap metal at the local yard and buy a new vehicle. Thanks again guys. My wife loves her durango, bad mpg and all. LOL.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Willsmokem

Hate to tell you this, but I think all the parts you bought was just throwing money out the window. I think the solution to your problem is going to be found when you inspect the wiring for the shift solenoid circuit. A corroded or dirty connector or some where along the wires themselves.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 AM
Vacationtime247

Yea, I know. First thing I start checking for with malfunctioning electrical components now is making sure it has voltage and reads the right resistance. Sold that Durango and was glad to be rid of it. Did buy 2 others after that one with the sole intention of selling them. Made money on both of them. Won't buy another, even to sell. They're junk and are plagued by problems.
VT247

Originally Posted by Willsmokem
Hate to tell you this, but I think all the parts you bought was just throwing money out the window. I think the solution to your problem is going to be found when you inspect the wiring for the shift solenoid circuit. A corroded or dirty connector or some where along the wires themselves.

Quick Reply: Code P0753 1999 Durango 5.2 44re Limp Mode No First or Overdrive HELP!