1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I want your opinion on upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 AM
mtnbiker717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want your opinion on upgrades...

Hello everyone!!

I just want everyone’s opinions as where to go next. I have read a lot of the forums and have a basic idea of "what" I want to do, but my main question is, what order should I proceed. Also, if there is something else you think I should do, let me know. I'd love to know.

I started with the basics, I had a Magnaflow muffler installed, the exhaust guy told me the stock pipes and cat's are sufficient for almost all mods I can do to my 4.7L. I also put on a K&N CAI. Now don't judge, I also did a JetChip (which did nothing from what I could tell.)

My planned upgrades at this point is a FastMan 68.5mm TB, SCT HemiFever and headers. The fist two seem to be a no brainer with most people on these forums. As far as the headers go, I have heard many different things about what to get ranging from the cheaper Flowtecs to the more expensive ones out there along with ceramic and non-ceramic. Which headers would you suggest and why? The last I was thinking of was cams, but I am not sure if I am ready to tear into that. As far as I am concerned, I am just a weekend mechanic.

I do have the basic tools available, sockets, wrenches and a few air tools. I want to expand my ability and knowledge, so I am willing to learn if you are willing to help.

Last, I want to say, spending the last couple days reading thru this forum, you guys are a welth of knowledge and I appriciate how much everyone is willing to give their two cents worth. I look forward to spending a lotof time here as I do work on my Durango!!

Thanks for any help/ideas you can give!!!

Chris

Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

on any of these engines headers will not give you acceptable gains per cost until you hit around 400-500 hp so unless you are planning to build that big save your money.

other than that the list looks good, start with the easy stuff, tb, cams, and then the tune at the end so that it can be made to opitmize your entire build to work well together, you will get more out of it this way.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not judging man but damn 340 bucks just for a chip :/ ... i would have gone with a superchips programer...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

missed that part srch, the jetchip is useless, the PCM will not only learn its way around it, but they have been known to cause problems with the truck running right and damage PCMs i would take it off and put it on your desk to do the only job it will do correctly, hold your paperwork in place.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
mtnbiker717

I only paid $185 for it, thank god. It worked for a couple days and then nothing, I took it off and it has been collecting dust since... Thats why I came here, I don't want to make that dumb mistake again, and don't worry, no TB Spacers are in my plan

Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 PM
lucas287

Hey Chris,

I can vouch that headers for a 4.7 DO WORK!!!

The only reason people claim they do NOT work is because they have not taken care of their greatest restrictions. Would it make sense to use a bigger throttle body with a stock air intake system...not really...because the stock is restrictive therefore yielding minimal gains for the throttle body. The same theory works for exhaust, most will put headers on and leave the rest semi-stock, well the y-pipe on the 4.7 exhaust is the biggest restriction therefore your headers will only flow as much as the y-pipe will allow, which isnt much. Crawl under and take a look at it, you'll see what I mean.

If you don't plan on extensive mods, then just replace the y-pipe, it will yield great gains and improve sound as well. BUT, if you plan for headers, intake manifold, and cams, then go ahead and change the entire exhaust...hi-flow cats, new piping, etc...but stick with single to preserve your torque.

After all that is done...THEN do headers, if the rest of your exhaust is free flowing then you will see great gains...especially in the bottom-mid range.

SCT for sure if you plan for extensive mods, Superchips cannot be customized and will not be sufficient for certain mods.

And dont be scared about cams for the 4.7...they are EASY! Im only 18, and I could handle it lol. Since it is an Overhead Cam motor all you have to do is take off the valve covers, remove the timing chain, five bearing caps and thats it! If you take your time there is nothing to it

Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

But which type of headers????? Shorties or long? Name brands? Headers are just a PITA if you ask me. Also the OEM cat's flow just fine. There is no need to go out and buy replacement Hi-Flow cats.

HO cam's, SCT tuner, headers (all depends on the application), 3" Y pipe, 3" cat back or 2 1/2" duals. There are a few types of emission packages, so it would depend on the build.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

as i said, headers cost more then they are worth until you have a build worth in the area of 400-500 hp

Old 07-06-2011, 01:36 PM
lucas287

Originally Posted by hydrashocker

But which type of headers????? Shorties or long? Name brands? Headers are just a PITA if you ask me. Also the OEM cat's flow just fine. There is no need to go out and buy replacement Hi-Flow cats.

HO cam's, SCT tuner, headers (all depends on the application), 3" Y pipe, 3" cat back or 2 1/2" duals. There are a few types of emission packages, so it would depend on the build.

Shorties are the only option for a 4.7. There are Gibson, Flowtech (Holley), JBA, and StansHeaders. I have JBA, and they didnt fit so good on the drivers side. I had to bang a flat spot on one of the tubes bc it was rubbing my steering shaft. But the pain was definitely worth the gain.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
lucas287

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
as i said, headers cost more then they are worth until you have a build worth in the area of 400-500 hp
I have NOWHERE NEAR 400-500 HP...and headers were a worthwhile mod.

My headers with MOPAR gaskets cost ~$350. That is not that much for some great gains in the bottom to mid range. Not to mention the smooth, deep tone they add.

Do you have experience building the Chrysler 4.7??? Not all motors respond to mods the same way lol

Quick Reply: I want your opinion on upgrades...