Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM
hbarker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mercy ,, mine not that loud , yet

Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
devinpitcher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, based on some video I have watched on YouTube of spun or worn bearings, it's certainly the same sound I get when I raise up the RPMs.

Guess I better pull that pan asap.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Does sound similar like the sound I was hearing on my engine( http://www.youtube.com/user/1trucklo.../1/NFF8BQPl9UY ), but I am hearing a tick at idle also on yours. Pull your plug wires one at a time and see if the sound disappears. If the sound doesn't change or go away when you pull the wires, the timing chain is a possiblity.

But, the more I listen to your video compared to mine it sounds more like an exhaust leak...

Last edited by trucklover; 06-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
devinpitcher

I thought about that too. It's very hard to isolate the sound in my video because of all of the exhaust noise, but the noise is for sure not coming from an exhaust leak. When I throw the car in first gear and let the RPMs get up into the 2.5-3.5 range, the engine sounds like it's going to blow up. Not sure if a timing chain would do that, but I'm all for an easier solution.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by devinpitcher
I thought about that too. It's very hard to isolate the sound in my video because of all of the exhaust noise, but the noise is for sure not coming from an exhaust leak. When I throw the car in first gear and let the RPMs get up into the 2.5-3.5 range, the engine sounds like it's going to blow up. Not sure if a timing chain would do that, but I'm all for an easier solution.
Could be where yours may be a little worse than mine was. I was at the verge of spinning a bearing, I put STP oil treatment in and they may have saved my engine before I tore it down. Another clue is where is does it after it warms up. Exactly the way mine did. And also where it occurs at the 2500-3000 rpm mark when you are driving it. I pulled the pan for inspection but I didn't find any evidence of wear (no shavings in the pan) When I removed the bearings is when I saw the damage

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Timing chain slap is common in these trucks. But if you do the spark plug wire test it will help. If the rattle doesn't disappear when you pull the wires it may very well be the chain.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 AM
devinpitcher

Alright, I'll try that. Do you have to pull the engine to replace the rod bearings? I know my brother had a Neon that spun a bearing and they were able to pull it out from the bottom while the engine was still in the car. Same for these engines? Might be a dumb question, just trying to find out what to do. It's my DD, and I work full time, so any down time puts me in a hard situation.

Last edited by devinpitcher; 06-26-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by devinpitcher
Alright, I'll try that. Do you have to pull the engine to replace the rod bearings? I know my brother had a Neon that spun a bearing and they were able to pull it out from the bottom while the engine was still in the car. Same for these engines? Might be a dumb question, just trying to find out what to do. It's my DD, and I work full time, so any down time puts me in a hard situation.
I'm not sure on the Durangos, but I think i could have on my ram. It wouldn't be easy though

Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

on the 4x4 your not pulling anything off the bottom of the engine without doing 1 of 2 things

1) pull the engine
2) pull the front driveshaft/axle

the drivline for the front wheels is in the way

Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Sc_Giants28

I have the same sound as yours, here is my video. I have a 2002 durango 4.7. All I have done so far is an oil change and spark plugs. I am trying to search through here to see maybe what step I could take next, thinking of checking the spark plug coils, seafom in the gas tank, I have no idea where to go next.

Here is my video, it would be very nice if someone can help to guide me ....

http://youtu.be/fwRqkiBQpGk

Quick Reply: '98 Durango - Knock, Tick, Slap?