1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'98 Durango - Knock, Tick, Slap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM
devinpitcher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '98 Durango - Knock, Tick, Slap?

I have a 1998 Dodge Durango with the 5.2L Magnum V8. It seems that I have a slight ticking or knocking from the passenger rear side of the engine when it's at operating temperature. It doesn't seem to do this when cold. I can't tell if this is maybe a lifter, a rocker, or a valve or something? Maybe it's spark knock, I'm not sure. It seems to be most noticeable when I begin to brake and slow down to a stop and the transmission downshifts causing the RPMs to move around a bit. As the RPMs increase, so does the frequency of the noise. Any ideas? I'm just looking for some pre-advice before I find some time to pull the valve cover and see if I can find anything in there.

I -am- still running 5W-30 oil from winter time in there, not the normal 10/15W-30 for summer, so maybe that has an effect? I can't tell if it did this or not when I got it back in January, so it's just an idea. Not sure if it matters though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPl5ij-zNwU

Last edited by devinpitcher; 06-27-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, she sounds broken. Pull the cover and review. The less driving the better.

Also check for exhaust leaking.

IndyDurango

Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 indy

also factory recommends 10w30 oil IIRC that is good down to 0 deg F, if you dont see temps below that no need to run different weights in the winter, and 5w30 is the other acceptable weight, not 15w- not 20w-

Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
devinpitcher

Does that knock sound like it could be exhaust? I just replaced the manifolds since I had some leaky headers, but I still have a leak from the flange. I think it sounds internal to the engine.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a stethoscope? If not you shoud get one, they're super cheap. It will allow you to narrow your focus.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
devinpitcher

Just picked one up. I think I pinpointed it to the drivers side. I thought it was the passenger side, but it seems to be louder on the drivers.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:32 PM
devinpitcher

Ok so I can reproduce the sound, quite loudly too, by placing the car in 1st and slowly bringing the speed up. As soon as I get around 20 mph and the RPMs are pushing 3k, there is a loud rattling from the engine.

I tried to get a video, but the wind makes it impossible to hear. I heard it's bad to place a car on jacks, raising the rear wheels off the ground, and accelerating. Is this true? The only way I could get a good sound clip would be to raise the rear and accelerate like I just described and get a sound clip of it.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM
mvoss2576
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds about like the ticking I get out of my 5.9, but mine is more of when it is cold. Going to get someone to check it pretty soon. Unfortunately, its my only vehicle so I can't help but drive it.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM
devinpitcher

Same problem, bought as a DD, and will continue to be used as a DD.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
devinpitcher

Not sounding good. I searched this forum for hours and found a thread with somebody with the same problem as me. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...500-rpm-8.html The second video on this page demonstrates the same sound I have. Turns out he had some bad rod bearings, worn almost completely, but not spun. If this is my issue, can they just be replaced, or is it not that simple?

On the next page though, somebody said it sounded like a wrist pin, because apparently a bearing would make this sound when decelerating. My engine knocks as I slow down. As I said in the description of my YouTube video, it's most noticeable when I slow down and the trans downshifts and the RPMs jump up and then drop. Then as I sit at a stop I can hear it continue to rattle.

I just got this truck 5 months ago, and just got the transmission rebuilt, so there's no way I'm simply letting it go now.

Last edited by devinpitcher; 06-25-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: '98 Durango - Knock, Tick, Slap?