1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

more overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 AM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more overheating problems

my truck overheated yesterday after getting alot of work last year. we had the heads and headgaskets done .. cuz it was overheating letting gases into the coolant .. so we fixed that .. now yesterday here in michigan it was like 98 degrease outside and we had to drive 2 hours away .. it started to overheat on us .. with the ac on so i tunred it off and it didnt seem to want to cool down. when we got to our destination and i got out of the truck i dont think i could here the efan working.. if the truck is hot should the e fan be on till it cools back down ????.. at times i can hear the e fan on but im not sure if it is coming on when it should or staying on long enough . yes it is full of coolant

Last edited by 12HILLBILLY; 07-03-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

sounds like a bad fan relay do not buy one from auto parts store pick one up from the dealer i learned the hard way

Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Why the dealer for a relay?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

You stated that sometimes you can hear the fan; you typically can't hear the efan unless the engine is off. Are you referring to the mechanical clutch fan? The efan is used to keep the engine and ac condenser cool during slow driving/ idling. Overheating at highway speeds is usually due to low coolant, poor circulation, bad clutch (mechanical fan), or stuck thermostat.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:12 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie
Default i have absoulutly had it my durango.. alreay sent $1800. it is still overheating

i got this durango a year ago.. ran fine for about 2 months then started overheating.. with the ac on and somtimtes with it off.. i noticed there was bubbles in the coolant.. replaced thermostat and did a coolant flush also powerwashed the radiator out to get the bugs out.. then it was still overheating.. took it in they said head gaskets were bad.. got that replaced then the timing chains were slapping and ticking got that placed with tensioners... that was just after winter... been running good till yesterday we had to go for a 2 hour drive it started overheating again.. it was hot yesterday about 98 with heat index.. coolant in resevoir was real low but the radiator was not low.. now took it for a ride today it is still overheating again.. went and got a new clutch fan. thought maybe it would fix it... nope still overheating .. e fan i know is working now cuz when it is getting hot i get out of the truck and listen to it.. i am at a loss

Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

also the coolant is bubbling again when hot .. the coolant seems to be circulating but i dont know how much is good enough.. the fins on the radiator are clean and i can see threw it pretty good .. could i have warpped heads again ???? i really like this truck but i am so sick of it costing me money i dont have.. i have done everything but replaced a water pump or a radiator. my wife is ready to get it rid of this thing . and i am getting there too cuz i am bout out of money to keep fixing this truck .. any help i can get would really help us out big time

Last edited by 12HILLBILLY; 07-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:30 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

also with the coolant cap off.. and by the way that is new too.. but with it off if i rev the motor in stead of the coolant getting sucked down .. it gets pushed up and out .. why the heck does it do that? i am starting to think whatever is causing this could be the problem .. it did that befor it went in to get the heads milled and gaskets replaced .. and it is doing it now also

Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

two new threads on the same subject in the same day is overkill

also you cant hear the e-fan come on you have to look for it to be spinning with a flashlight or something similar while the engine is running with the a/c on, check it the right way and get back to us.

also check the fan clutch (spin the big fan by hand and see how far it goes, more than 1/2 a turn and its shot)

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 07-03-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

i just put a new clutch fan on today .. i could spin it all the way around by hand.. also the new one does the same thing.. i can spin it all the way around in any direction .. does this mean its bad ??? the old one and the new one ?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

I got a relay from autozone lasted 2 months ill never by a relay from them again it was 2 dollars more at the dealer just didnt have a ride to the dealer to get one at the time but i have one in there now from the dealer i think the new fan clutch you got is bad

Quick Reply: more overheating problems