1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Check gauges light - Durango died

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM
ccexpress
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check gauges light - Durango died

The Check Gauges light came on then it got worse. The light came on but it was running so I headed home. The only thing I noticed was that the battery gauge wasn't showing anything. After a bit, the "abs" and brake light came on, then the air bag light. Soon the radio went off. I stopped and checked and the battery cables they were pretty corroded. Turned off engine (stupid) and it wouldn't restart. Pulled off neg and cleaned, got it to restart. Continued on only to have the tach, speedo and all gauges turn off. They would come on and go off a couple of times then she died at an intersection stop sign. Got her to start with a jump but only made it another 10 miles before she died, good news right in front of O'Reilly's. Battery was shot so I replaced it and rushed home. The Check Gauges light was still on.
Could it be the alternator. Could it have just been the battery but why is the light still on?
Any suggestions?
THANKS

Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 PM
ccexpress
Rookie
Default Check gauges light - Durango died

2001 4x4 SLT AWD
The Check Gauges light came on then it got worse. The light came on but it was running so I headed home. The only thing I noticed was that the battery gauge wasn't showing anything. After a bit, the "abs" and brake light came on, then the air bag light. Soon the radio went off. I stopped and checked and the battery cables they were pretty corroded. Turned off engine (stupid) and it wouldn't restart. Pulled off neg and cleaned, got it to restart. Continued on only to have the tach, speedo and all gauges turn off. They would come on and go off a couple of times then she died at an intersection stop sign. Got her to start with a jump but only made it another 10 miles before she died, good news right in front of O'Reilly's. Battery was shot so I replaced it and rushed home. The Check Gauges light was still on.
Could it be the alternator. Could it have just been the battery but why is the light still on?
Any suggestions? THANKS

Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well which gauge(s) were out of range when the light came on after you put the new battery in it?? that is where i would start (volt meter, look at the alternator, water temp cooling system ect)

Old 07-24-2011, 11:59 PM
ccexpress
Rookie

None that I could tell. All gauges showed what they normally show.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 AM
ccexpress
Rookie

Ok I checked for new codes and got P1682 Charging Sys Voltage Too Low. I started her up and didn't have the check gauges light anymore. How do you check the relays in the main fuse box by the battery (4 prongs)? I did notice that the one next to where the alt attaches to the box and on to the battery was sitting up, I pushed it down about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccexpress
Ok I checked for new codes and got P1682 Charging Sys Voltage Too Low. I started her up and didn't have the check gauges light anymore. How do you check the relays in the main fuse box by the battery (4 prongs)? I did notice that the one next to where the alt attaches to the box and on to the battery was sitting up, I pushed it down about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks
If it where me id start by testing the voltage out of the alt.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the alternator went out and that was caused by the bad battery.

I would just replace it sense you replace the battery anyway and you don't want your bad alternator to take out your new battery. They like to go out together.

But as Old School said:
Get a multi-meter and place it on "20 volts DC". Measure the voltage between the battery cables (should be around 12.7 volts), then start the truck and measure it again and you should see it around 14.4 volts, if not replace the alternator.

The following users liked this post:
Dianna1972 (11-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
ccexpress
Rookie

I had the alt tested when the check gauges light came back on. The gauge on the dash was fine than dropped to zero and thats when the light came on. When I had it tested in car it failed I checked for codes and no new code the 1682 went away after replacing the battery. When I removed it and had it tested again it passed twice??? It seems fine when I start it then the gauge drops and the light comes on.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

could be an intermittent problem, id replace the alternator and be done with it.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM
ccexpress
Rookie

136 amp or 160 amp? O'Reilly's gives two options.

Quick Reply: Check gauges light - Durango died