1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

o the joys of power steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default o the joys of power steering

so today on my way home from a ride (went mtn biking, but irrelevant) i noticed a whining/growling sound that was dependant on engine speed, turns out my power steering reservoir was wayyyyy low.

the reason, the hard lines at the steering gear (both pressure AND return lines) were rusted through far enough to let the fluid leak out. keep in mind last time i checked the fluid (maybe a week ago, i check it monthly) it was full, so this is going out as a PSA to everyone to check their lines before they lose power steering (driving without it is NOT FUN)

so i ordered the two new lines ($52 total) and picked up some atf +4 (trans and power steering fluid), the lines will be in on monday, and i figure they will be installed/much beer will be drank monday evening and you can expect a DIY write up on it once it is all finished

the pictures are still on my camera, ill upload them once the whole project is finished

Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
so today on my way home from a ride (went mtn biking, but irrelevant) i noticed a whining/growling sound that was dependant on engine speed, turns out my power steering reservoir was wayyyyy low.

the reason, the hard lines at the steering gear (both pressure AND return lines) were rusted through far enough to let the fluid leak out. keep in mind last time i checked the fluid (maybe a week ago, i check it monthly) it was full, so this is going out as a PSA to everyone to check their lines before they lose power steering (driving without it is NOT FUN)

so i ordered the two new lines ($52 total) and picked up some atf +4 (trans and power steering fluid), the lines will be in on monday, and i figure they will be installed/much beer will be drank monday evening and you can expect a DIY write up on it once it is all finished

the pictures are still on my camera, ill upload them once the whole project is finished

Same thing happened to me yesterday! I'll let you do the write up as you have the camera and my parts will not be in till wednesday...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:01 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yours will be different, 98-00 used a steering box iirc while 02-03 used a r/p gear. so take some pictures, and we should be able to have both systems written up in a weeks time.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
wisbutch
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you find these lines for 52$$$. Let us in!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i called my local mom/pop auto parts store

however rockauto has the return hose for 4x4 4.7 w/ cooler (my setup) for $12
and the pressure line for $28

so if you ordered online youd pay about the same once you include shipping

Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i called my local mom/pop auto parts store

however rockauto has the return hose for 4x4 4.7 w/ cooler (my setup) for $12
and the pressure line for $28

so if you ordered online youd pay about the same once you include shipping

Advance Auto, pressure line 17.99 return hose 11 bucks... but, thats for the 5.2l and the 98-00 setup

Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Like I said in the other thread, if you have a hose shop around you they can build you a brand new one right there and then with your old one as a replica. You will pay a cheap price and you get it right then. The place I go to is called EVCO House of Hose http://www.houseofhose.com/ but there are usually local places that are the same in most larger cities.

I do the same thing with all of my bearings. I take them a part and go to a local bearing shop for what I need. In fact I just rebuilt my tensioner pulley on my 2004 Ford Taurus and it cost me like $4.50 with tax for a premium bearing. Then I had to rebuild it.

On my old Durango my pressure line on the transmission started to leak so I took it off and went over to EVCO. They built me a new one in like 5 minutes and it cost me like $10. In and out and the hose they used were better then OEM anyway.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-31-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

and as i replied in the other one, its the hard line on the hose which rotted out on me, not the rubber, but it doesnt matter i already ordered the replacements and they should be in tomorrow at which point they go in bc i want my truck back!!!!!!!!1

my dads 09 dak w/ the new 4.7 is nice, but i like my own truck better.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i gotta do that too.. my power steering pump leeks a lot too... old_school let me know how it goes...

Old 07-31-2011, 11:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When the make new lines they can also make new hard line too. They don't just do hose they actually build all types of line.

Quick Reply: o the joys of power steering