1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Spare tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Irondime
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire issue

The exhaust on my d was changed to duals coming out the back. Just had work done to it and didn't think about it. Long story short, the exhaust is in the way of mounting my spare underneath. I got 3rd row seats that are often used and I don't think it will stand behind the 3rd seat and the hatch close.

Was thinking maybe a roof rack or something. Any thoughts?

Should I just get AAA lol

Old 10-01-2011, 03:57 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Hmm... Pretty sure all AAA will do for a flat tire is send someone out to put your spare on. Back in college (20 some years ago) I worked for Amoco Motor Club as a part time job for awhile, and technically the rule on flats was that we would install "your inflated spare". Now, of course, most of the drivers were nice enough that they'd inflate a spare if it was low or flat, since they'd already made the trip out, but we wouldn't cover the cost for them to tow somewhere just for a flat. I would assume AAA has similar rules.

A roof rack isn't a bad idea if you're still young and nimble to climb up there and get it down. Keep Murphy's law in mind, you'll likely be getting flats when it's 20 below and your bumper is covered in ice...

Why not add on a heavy duty rear bumper with a swing-out tire rack built in?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Irondime
Rookie

I do have the tow package, wonder if I could mount something in the hitch. I am an ironworker, I could fab something up and paint it.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:44 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Irondime
I do have the tow package, wonder if I could mount something in the hitch. I am an ironworker, I could fab something up and paint it.
If you do that, make sure that it's a TIGHT fit.

I have a $400 bicycle rack that mounts to the hitch, and while it works great, I've definitely noticed it having a lot more wobble to it after one summer of occasional use. Hitches are designed to pull things that are behind you, not so much to support things standing upright.

With the weight of a spare tire, mounted on a 3 foot or so lever, you're asking that hitch to endure some pretty significant force in directions it wasn't designed for. Throw in some bumpy roads or some rough railroad tracks and, well, you can see where I'm going with this....

Not saying it won't work, but my guess would be that the results will turn out a little short of your expectations. If you do decide to try it, keep all of that in mind when you're designing it....

Last edited by coreybv; 10-01-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
FirePro911
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scroll down on THIS LINK to the Tire Gate Universal Hitch Tire Carrier and build one.

It is on my list of projects, after I built my roof rack.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 PM
NHWheelin
Amateur

Being an ironworker you will be nimble for many yrs to come. I would build a roof rack and toss it up there since the exhuast is now in the way of the tire. Quick questions though, would it be possible to have the pipe bent a couple more times so that it doesnt interfere with the spare tire locations? Maybe drop the spare off with the shop.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 PM
FirePro911
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think it could be bent around the spare. The passenger side is bent around the spare, the spare sits center, so why not bend the drivers side around the spare?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Irondime
Rookie

None of the exhaust is stock. It's got duals both coming thru the spare tire compartment. Just had some exhaust work done really don't want to mess with it anymore. But I guess I should give that a look also

Quick Reply: Spare tire issue