1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 5.2 - A/C Bypass help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:44 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 5.2 - A/C Bypass help

So the A/C compressor clutch in my 99 D burnt itself up. Smells just like a transmission clutch when they get overheated, and when watching the compressor the type of grinding sound it makes changes when the compressor kicks on or off. So, definitely the A/C compressor.

Since buying a new compressor is financially out of the question right now, and fall is here with winter close behind, I decided to install a bypass pulley to get me by until next summer when (fingers crossed) replacing the compressor won't be such a hardship.

Went to Autozone and bought this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=838297_0_0_

What a piece of crap. The pulley is made of plastic, which surprised me but I could probably deal with that. A much bigger problem is that the bolts that come with the kit are the wrong thread, but I had a few lying around that actually matched, so I was able to get it bolted in.

Now for the part I can't get figured out. The pulley sits just ever so slightly too far to the back. When I fire up the engine the serpentine belt adjusts itself forward (toward the radiator) by one groove. This means part of the belt is pushed up over the edge of the pulley. I'm pretty sure this will tear the belt up and leave me stranded much sooner than if I just put the compressor back in and waited for it to tear itself apart.

Anyone ever installed one of these? Is there some trick that I'm missing?

Alternatively, is there a part number for a belt I can buy to bypass the A/C without the extra pulley?

Also, any suggestions on a reliable way to plug and protect the now exposed A/C lines? I do plan to get a compressor back in there when finances allow. Neither the wife or the kids would be willing to live without A/C during the summer, and while I could live with it, I'd also prefer to not go without...

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:56 PM
FirePro911
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you not have this diagram under your hood?
Name:  ACBypass-1.jpg
Views: 5272
Size:  55.8 KB

Also, if I remember right, this should be the bypass belt as it is in my glove box. Though I have a 5.9 engine, but I think the basic setup is the same.
Name:  serpentinebelt.jpg
Views: 3153
Size:  115.4 KB

You can also follow the diagram above with a piece of rope. Take the rope to O'Riellys Auto Parts and match it to a belt.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:01 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Yep, I do have that diagram. It just doesn't happen to have part numbers on it, which is what I was asking for.

After way too much dicking around, and running back and forth to the parts store, I finally got the belt figured out.

If you call Autozone, they'll tell you that you need a Dayco 885K7. Problem is this is the part number for a 99 5.2 that came from the factory with no A/C, not one that came with A/C but had the compressor yanked. The 885K7 is so close that it will tempt you to try to fight it on there, but in the end it just won't go. (Truth be told I could have got it on there, with some help from a couple of friends, and a few pry bars, but it would have been so frickin' tight it would have torn all kinds of things apart...)

I finally got tired of trying to explain the situation to the high school girls behind the counter at Autozone who only understood what the computer showed them and couldn't grasp the idea that I needed a belt just a "little bit" longer.

Got my money back, went across the street to Advance, and they had an old guy with a beard behind the counter who actually knew a little bit about cars. Explained the situation, he went in back and pulled out an 885K7 to compare, then found me a belt that was slightly longer. Not sure why, but whenever I go to a parts store, it's always the guys with beards who know their ****... Maybe that's a regional thing or something....

Long story short (for those who find this thread in a search later on). The correct belt to use is a Dayco 905K7. Fits perfect when following the "no a/c" route on the belt diagram, and cost 10 bucks less than the plastic, chinese-made piece of **** bypass pulley. With the compressor removed, this belt holds the tensioner pulley almost dead in the middle of its movement range. And you don't have to spin your water pump in the wrong direction like with most of the "solutions" I found on my google searches.

Still could use suggestions on how to protect the lines from getting crud in them. I could zip tie a zip-loc bag over then ends, but I question whether it would handle the heat. Looking around the house for something that might be up to the challenge.... Definitely still open to suggestions on that matter, since I do plan to purchase a compressor in the spring and get the A/C back up and running again for next summer.

(I'm pretty sure this would apply to a 5.9 as well... I recently sold my 98, so I can't go take measurements or anything, but going from memory the block and the entire engine compartment layout is pretty much identical, so I don't see why it wouldn't apply there as well...)

Last edited by coreybv; 10-01-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM
FirePro911
Rookie

Well you could bolt the compressor back on and connect the lines back to it to protect them. Will not hurt anything as you have bypassed it.

I never go to Autozone and always go to O'Riellys. I quit going to Autozone years ago for a reason, but now avoid them due to what you said above. They seem to never have anyone who knows anything working there.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by FirePro911
Well you could bolt the compressor back on and connect the lines back to it to protect them. Will not hurt anything as you have bypassed it.

I never go to Autozone and always go to O'Riellys. I quit going to Autozone years ago for a reason, but now avoid them due to what you said above. They seem to never have anyone who knows anything working there.
I tried it with the compressor still on, but the pulley rubs the belt the way it's routed now. I may see if I can get that pulley off of it tomorrow, because I agree that would be an ideal solution.

I hear ya on avoiding Autozone. They just happened to be the first ones I found in the phonebook in the new city I just moved to. Shoulda known better. I don't expect a parts guy to be an expert mechanic, but I would appreciate it if he knew a little more about working on cars than dialing AAA's phone number...

Having said that, I've found that it's good to hit the parts stores in the evenings. Mechanics don't make a ton of money, and a good number of them do take an evening shift at a parts store to make ends meet, so you get much better help at night than if you go during business hours.....

Old 10-01-2011, 09:12 PM
FirePro911
Rookie

When my compressor went out, I ran the new belt according to the diagram and it never hit the pulley on the compressor. I ran it that way for a few weeks until I got a chance to install a new compressor.

Maybe this is the difference between the 5.2 and the 5.9?

Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
scottdestefanis
Default Plus one for 905K7 belt on 1999 5.2 Durango

I do realize that this thread is very old but I thought I should share my results. I got a 905K7 belt from Autozone and it fit perfect to bypass my AC compressor on my 1999 Durango 5.2. The brand of my belt is Durolast but many other companies make this belt. Just search for 905K7. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by scottdestefanis
I do realize that this thread is very old but I thought I should share my results. I got a 905K7 belt from Autozone and it fit perfect to bypass my AC compressor on my 1999 Durango 5.2. The brand of my belt is Durolast but many other companies make this belt. Just search for 905K7. Thanks for the help!
Didn’t even see this thread or I would’ve gotten the number off of mine. For years I had a salvage yard compressor on my truck, never knew when it was gonna go, so I’ve always had an A/C delete belt and a 15mm wrench in the storage compartment in the back of my Durango lol.

Quick Reply: 99 5.2 - A/C Bypass help