1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Horrible loud noises from truck YES, I searched first, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 AM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible loud noises from truck YES, I searched first, please help

If there is a thread please direct me to it. I searched, but found nothing so far. Let me add that the noises have NO relation to hitting bumps. I added a video to hear below. Sorry about the wind, but all the other noises are the truck!!
Also I have two codes coming up
P0442 Evap Leak Monitor Medium Leak Detected ( I know, I need a new gas cap...)
P1281 Engine is Cold Too Long ( not sure about this one usually my truck overheats!!)

About 2 months ago I noticed a knock/creak kinda noise when accelerating. Took it to a mechanic and of course it did not do it for him... He put it up on the lift and inspected everything could not find any problems. He actually told me it had to get worse so he could diagnose it.

It continued to worsen, at times it sounded like my truck was going to fall apart it was so bad and then a day or two with NO noise. I'm not sure if it was because I drive it, that I thought it was primarily the front drivers side making the noise or not, but it started to make the noise when accelerating and breaking. NEVER coasting.

Last week it got so bad and consistent that on Friday I had a mobile mechanic that ripped me off... diagnose it as the tie rods (both) and front left bearing after hearing me drive it for him. It pops, creaks, cracks sounds HORRIBLE. So he did the part changes showed me the worn parts, told me it was fine and left. I asked about a test drive but it was late and he said it was like changing break pads, no need to test drive it...

Saturday morning I drove it around the block and it sounded squeeky. Then after driving a bit all the noise returned and I swear it went from Horrible to I'm afraid to even drive it. I call the mechanic he comes over Sunday morning and drives it around the block, jacks it up and shows me a dirty hand with power steering fluid on it... Says I have a leaky gasket and not to drive it til add the fluid and talks and leaves. At that point I understand he just has no clue what is wrong and thinks I'm really that stupid...

So now just backing up and pulling back into my driveway sounds HORRIFIC.
I am going to try to video it so you can hear it. My neighbors around the block can hear it, so I'm sure it will be VERY easy to diagnose by ya'll seasoned vets. It sounds like my wheels are gonna crack off and the frame is gonna give...

I just love my truck and want it to be right and am thankful for this forum and all help you have given me over the past few years.

Last edited by DurangoRT/RN; 10-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

Here is a YouTube video so you get an idea... That is just backing up and pulling back into my driveway. There is no radio it's just wind, the door ding and my HORRIBLE sounding truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcqBxtjwJsI

Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Sounds like a wheel bearing went bad

Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

I had the driver side front bearings changed and the noise is MOSTLY from the front left, although when I heard it while someone else backed out it sounds like the ENTIRE frame makes the noise now...

Old 10-17-2011, 01:27 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

jack up the left wheel and check for any play. have you checked the cv axles

Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Typically, you should replace both the passenger and driver side wheel bearings. If one fails, the other isn't far behind.

Also, I assume your D is AWD. If so, it could be the front driveshaft.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

Yes, it's all wheel drive.

It's going into the dealer tomorrow. $50 to diagnose and tell me how much and what it is. I may take it to another mechanic afterward for the work, I'm just worried about the alignment and precision after the work is done.

Also, I'm just gonna go buy a new car tomorrow. I love my truck, but need a newer vehicle anyways... Debating between the Civic and Accord.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

get a new durango, and dont give up on this one, i agree that it sounds driveline related, cv shafts or front driveshaft.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

Ok, so one my friends just listened to it and said it sounds like the bearings are not seated correctly?
Could this mean he put them in wrong? Ugh...

Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM
laz45
Veteran

#1 sharp n topdog, I had the same noise,the P/O tried sayin it was the tires...ya right.. bad C/V joint pass side.Easy to find,jacked it up and grabbed the C/V shaft
found the excess play right off.... Autozone P/N 8295 $64.99 (+ $45 core) I brought my old one in with me though....

Last edited by laz45; 10-18-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Horrible loud noises from truck YES, I searched first, please help