1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Remote Distance

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Distance

My remote wont work unless Im like 20 feet from the truck. Is this normal? I tried new batteries and still no difference.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

mines a little bit better than that, but not by a whole lot, the range is not great on the remotes, im working on something that i have heard will improve the range, if it works ill be posting a DIY

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is about right. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. It isn't a range finder that's for sure.

IndyD

Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine doesn't work unless I'm within 10 feet of my truck. I saw a way to help with the range and it does work for me. I know this is going to sound a bit crazy but hear me out. If you hold the remote in your hand and put it against your ear or temple (same side as your hand ex. right hand and right ear/temple) it will work from farther away. I don't really know why but it does work. Jeremy Clarkson even demonstrated this on Top Gear once and it worked for him too. I know it makes me look like an idiot holding my remote against my head in the middle of a parking lot, but it works.

edit: I found the clip of Clarkson demonstrating this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jACSPipPSE

Hope this helps

Last edited by that_guy; 10-19-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: found the clip of Clarkson demostrating this
Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always used the "point at your nose" setup for the same effect. Your body acts as an antenna.

IndyD

Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I always just hit the button in my pocket, figgered it would use my large 3rd member as an antenna!.....

Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Dirtrango
Professional

Originally Posted by that_guy
Mine doesn't work unless I'm within 10 feet of my truck. I saw a way to help with the range and it does work for me. I know this is going to sound a bit crazy but hear me out. If you hold the remote in your hand and put it against your ear or temple (same side as your hand ex. right hand and right ear/temple) it will work from farther away. I don't really know why but it does work. Jeremy Clarkson even demonstrated this on Top Gear once and it worked for him too. I know it makes me look like an idiot holding my remote against my head in the middle of a parking lot, but it works.

edit: I found the clip of Clarkson demonstrating this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jACSPipPSE

Hope this helps
I always do the under the chin trick it's the same thing and i don't look like a fool.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Dirtrango
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I always just hit the button in my pocket, figgered it would use my large 3rd member as an antenna!.....
No we said to extend the range not shorten it.

I know my reply will be this

Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
logikfive
Professional

The remote for my '99 works excellent. I can be in my house, 20+ feet away and it will still lock/unlock.

My '01 is terrible. I have to be less than 10 feet for it to work.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The computers in my Durango freaked out earlier today (all of the lights, the instruments, windows, and locks stopped working when I shut off the engine), so I left the battery terminal off for a while to reset the computers. Everything went back to normal, and now the remote works from over 30' without putting it on my temple or other places *cough* hydra. I didn't do anything to the remote, it just worked better after resetting the computer. I don't exactly understand how this would happen but weirder stuff has happened. Maybe it will work for someone else.

Quick Reply: Remote Distance