1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

interesting read about oil viscosity

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you send in the samples, the previous "scores" will be listed on the updated results. Over the years/changes, you can see the progression (or none at all) of the changes.

On the first change from dino to Mobil1, you will see differences in the catagories that are detergents, etc in the blends since they are different oils.

Just when you do a change, send it in. Once you are set on the same oil blend change over change... I think you can send every other one, etc.

On the TBN, that is the score that tells you how much friction protection is left in the oil. If you are trying to figure out how many miles you can go before changes, you need to up the testing to include that figure/calculation. Then you can gauge if you are changing your oil to soon or to late based on the protections that are left in the oil.

With that said, I always err on the side of caution and change to soon on purpose. Blackstone is always suggesting to me to go to 7000 miles or so on the next swap (less testing (=less $) for them so there in no vested interest there for them to make that suggestion other than to provide proper advice.) I still change it at 5000 or so anyways. Cheap insurance IMHO.

IndyDurango

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The lab already knows what the baselines are. That is why you tell them what oil and weight you are using. If you were going it alone, some comparison test would be needed. Not so when you use a lab that tests thousands of samples a month. They have been there, done that.
That's the question, what are the baselines?

Now they could give you baseline numbers but do they check the new oil all the time? Do they just have a few numbers to compare against and call it good until they see something change?

See the thing is they don't let them know when they change formulations unless they watch each bottle, I mean they are not in business with them and frankly don't care, Mobil has their own in house diagnostics. The main question here is what is Blackstone doing and what verification system do they have?

To simply say we are going with these results is not good enough because there is no control test. But then again, how close do you need to get, and how close do you want to get? See when a Mobil Representative goes to a Steel Mill they take a sample from their gear box or grease and then they take a control test the same from the barrel or what ever of new fluid they are using for the control test, and this is even their own numbers! Do you think they know the numbers, after all it is their own products but even they know about the changes.

Also, depending on where and how it was stored as well as time can change the oil, and that will get you incorrect readings. So for instance, lets talk about oxidization;

In the field (Truck) there is various temperatures from cold to hot, humidity, and oxygen contact. Well your part of the world is different then mine and so that changes the oxidization. This change can raise a flag and yet it is because of the field conditions and storage conditions, and not from the oil it's self, or possibly from the oil it's self. See without a control a test really isn't a test, but it will get you close.

Anyway, I would not send in your oil because you are not comparing apples to apples. I would drain out the old oil then swap it with the new . Drive 3k miles and swap again to get all the old oil and diluted oil out. Then refill and start to drive 5k intervals and test these intervals. Stick with the same type and brand.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-27-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
laz45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha...let it run the dino out and have an actual test on the new type after it's been run...TY that's what I was getting at....I'm gonna test this sample just to see what I have to start with,in case I have internal damage,IE metals...then,wait until I get to my second change with the synthetic,then I have what I need.Clean undiluted synthetic to test.You both make good points.It would be really cool if it was Say Mobile that tested your Mobile1,THAT would be the absolute best imo,But,I'm absolutely sure Blackstone knows what they're doing,enough so I will get the info I need......Oh,the sample I saved is in a clean unused vial,filled to overflow when I capped it.I had what you mentioned in mind hydra,oxidation,maybe even moisture if it wasn't full. And yes...no matter what anyone say's you can do,no way in hell I'm running oil over 5-6000,that's engine suicide
Thanks again guys

Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

The enemy of Great is Perfect.

In the great words from NIKE.... "Just do it."

Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
laz45
Veteran

AMEN...(or equivalent.)
This is a great thread, something a lot of people just take for granted and never
examine...considering how diverse the crew here is, there's always something to learn...excellent forum

Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if a thread for motor oil testing shouldn't be started? Just a spot where people can post results along with the engine and oil brand/weight, and how long it was used and how much life was left.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
laz45
Veteran

Good idea. Even the guys that wonder if the filters in CAI mods work could monitor results in that.Be a ton of info we could share in a that thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

you can use my DOC thread, others do for their return results.

Quick Reply: interesting read about oil viscosity